XL1S problem, please help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 10th, 2003, 07:33 AM   #1
New Boot

XL1S problem, please help

Hi forum,

I have just bought an xl1s "kit" with the camera and trimmings etc.

1. How do I get this thing linked to my computer?

2. What editing software should I use (on a budget)

Please please help!

Thanks

Recent short work.

"How to get a Genuine College Degree in 5 days" download it FREE at http://www.ebookdata.com
Glen Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 07:48 AM   #2
Warden

The camera connects to a computer through FireWire (same as IEEE1394, and Sony iLink). The FireWire connection is on the right hand side, behind the grip. Gently lift the cover between the grip and the cassette door, at the top is the connection labeled DV IN/OUT. If you editing on a Mac your in luck because FireWire ports are standard and no additional hardware is needed. If you on a PC you might have to purchase a FireWire/1394 card to fit in a PCI slot. this will require you taking the computer cover off and installing the card. If that is not your area of expertise, the store where you purchase the card will install it for you for a fee.

Many of the FireWire cards come with editing software. If not yo may need to purchase software. If you have a Mac it came with iMovie which is great for starters. You may also need to purchase a FireWire cable. The cable you need will be a 4 pin to 6 pin cable. If it's still not clear, post back with more details and I cam be more specific.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Jeff,

Do macs come with a standard tv out as well to view work on a tv monitor while editing?

zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #4
Warden

The iMacs and iBooks do not. The new G4 Towers and Power Books have an S-Video out that can be used as another monitor. There is software that will send the signal over FireWire at the same time also.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2003, 07:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Also, once you get your firewire set up its easy from there. I have Win XP and was concerned because the camera didn't come with any software. As soon as i plugged in the the firewire and turned the camera on Windows "found new hardware: Canon XL-1s". Pretty nice! From there, any editing software should be able to import the video from the camera.
Tim Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2003, 08:12 AM   #6
Major Player

iBooks and video out

The newer iBooks do indeed have video out.

There are two adapters from Apple, one is S-video out, the other is VGA. The VGA adapter comes with new iBooks.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2003, 08:20 AM   #7
Warden

Thanks for the correction, much appreciated.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog