DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Accurate color rendition with the XL1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/60526-accurate-color-rendition-xl1s.html)

Dean Orewiler February 12th, 2006 06:22 PM

Accurate color rendition with the XL1s

I shot some test video today - it's coming out a bit on the orange / red side....I went into the preset button and I brought the green down about 3 buttons down and the color gain and the setup down a few more notches. I'm trying to reduce the bold colors a bit so it looks a little more film like...any other suggestions out there?? I'm using a fuji tape - could that be the reason the colors are "off"?? I always heard that fuji film / tapes exaggerates hues -
Thanks for any suggestions....
Dean

Greg Boston February 12th, 2006 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Orewiler
I shot some test video today - it's coming out a bit on the orange / red side....I went into the preset button and I brought the green down about 3 buttons down and the color gain and the setup down a few more notches. I'm trying to reduce the bold colors a bit so it looks a little more film like...any other suggestions out there?? I'm using a fuji tape - could that be the reason the colors are "off"?? I always heard that fuji film / tapes exaggerates hues -
Thanks for any suggestions....
Dean

Dean,

Fuji film may exaggerate hues, but digital video tape cannot. It's all ones and zeroes on that tape. They are either readable, or they're not. The Canons tend to lean towards that reddish/orange hue you mentioned. You're on the right track, just use the custom presets to get the picture how you want it. Or you can correct it in post.

-gb-

Mike Teutsch February 12th, 2006 06:29 PM

Tape brands make no difference, they are only recording 1s and 0s. Check your camera set-up and your monitor set-up.

Dean Orewiler February 12th, 2006 08:26 PM

thanks for the info....I'll go into set up and bring up the greens A LOT..maybe all the way...and bring the saturation down...which one is the saturation of the colors?? Is that color gain or the other setting??
what does the setup level do when I bring that down??
Dean

Henry Cho February 13th, 2006 09:06 AM

color gain is saturation. i find one or two notches to the left is fine. setup level is similar to brightness, and is useful for crushing blacks, or decreasing contrast.

regarding your original q, try manual white balancing. the awb on my xl1s reads a little warmer than if i were to manually set it.

also, make sure you're giving the cam enough light. the xl cams LOVE good light.

Dean Orewiler February 13th, 2006 05:52 PM

thank you Henry....I think I'm getting onto it....I made a mistake and had the slider toward the GREEN side (which added more RED) than the reserve...I thought if I moved toward green, I would be adding it....and it's just the opposite, so I went the wrong way on the slider, so no wonder I was getting orangey reds.