16x IS II lens for the 16x manual at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 13th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

16x IS II lens for the 16x manual

I have an opportunity to trade my 16x IS II LENS (excellent condition) for a 16X manual focus that is equally in excellent shape - with me giving an additional $300....is this a pretty fair offer?
This guy I'm going to trade with is a really nice person, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best deal I can - I'm not familiar with the going prices of these lenses. He seems very knowledgeable - and I've purchased other stuff from him. I'm seeing both lenses going for about the same price new, but I don't think I could get the same price for the 16x IS II on ebay as what the manual focus lens is worth and also with it's demand.

Last edited by Dean Orewiler; February 13th, 2006 at 10:59 PM. Reason: mistake
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

This is really a question of which lens is better for your particular needs. If you switch to the manual lens, then you give up auto-focus and image stabilisation. To some people this is no big deal. To others, it's everything. I think you should make an evaluation as to which one better serves your shooting style. If you work with a tripod more than hand-held, if you have more time to find focus manually, then maybe the manual lens is better for you... but only you will know for sure.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #3
Trustee

Chris makes some very valid points, and it is of course you, Dean, who makes the final decision.

The 16X Manual Servo lens is often more sought after and tends to sell for a much higher price on the secondhand market than the 16XIS, so $300 is not a bad deal, because this would save you trying to sell the 16XIS, and then having to search and buy a 16XMF for a decent price.

I've not found the IS needed for handheld filming at all, even in the worst case situations. The only time when I have wished that I'd used IS is when I've handed the camera to someone that is not used to using the camera...so really, it all depends how confident you are in handheld/shoulder work. Most of my handheld work is at the wide end up to medium telephoto, but I try to make sure, if possible, that all telephoto shots are firmly on a heavy tripod. Footage taken on a tripod with a 16X MF lens at full telephoto end of the zoom range will always looks superior to the same footage taken handheld using a 16XIS.

The 16X Manual Servo lens (or 14X MF) provides complete control of your filming and I'd be lost without it, so my advice is to definitely go for it.

Last edited by Tony Davies-Patrick; February 14th, 2006 at 04:52 PM.
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks Chris and Tony for your help

I'm going for the manual lens...I never shoot in automatic anyhow...I don't like seeing focus going back and forth - drives me nuts....and I hear this lens is sharper than the zoom - I won't miss the Image Stabilizer, and the servo motors - or the one ND filter option!!
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #5
New Boot

The other great thing about this lens is that it is fixed F1.6 through entire zoom range (unlike standard 16x which goes from F1.6 - F3.5 at full zoom)!
I have used it on Monopod at full zoom at beach and it's not too shaky - acceptable enough ;-)
Gaven Eogan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog