DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XS1s auto 16x zoom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/618-xs1s-auto-16x-zoom.html)

Jerry Bixman January 5th, 2002 02:23 PM

XS1s auto 16x zoom

When doing a zoom out starting slowly and increasing as the camera comes wide I hit a point about 2/3 thru zoom range and the speed jumps faster at this point. I experience this with the rocker on the lens and with the use of a stealth zoom controller so I dont think it is the rocker mechanism. Is this normal or does my camera take a ride to Canon Service?

Jerry

Jerry Bixman January 5th, 2002 02:25 PM

XL1s

Sorry previous post header should read XL1s

Jerry

Ed Frazier January 5th, 2002 06:29 PM

Hi Jerry,

Every time I think the zoom is doing something that it shouldn't, I realize that I've been resting a finger of my left hand on the lens zoom ring. It doesn't take much movement at all to cause a problem.

Just one thing you might want to consider.

Ed Frazier

Jerry Bixman January 7th, 2002 12:19 AM

Thanks Ed for your response. Upon further examination it seems that it is not at a particular part of the zoom range but a jump occurs when pressure is applied to the rocker at almost full detent, has anyone else seen this problem?

Jerry

Paul Robinson January 7th, 2002 05:22 AM

Jerry, I've done a few tests with mine and I can't see this jump that you've mentioned. What I have observed though is that there seems to be a small area near the end of the zoom range that seems to be in a limited speed zone :)

You start zoomed right out, and it hurtles down to the end, and just before it gets to the end it slows right down and then crawls the rest of the way (which isn't too far) and then the same thing zooming back out again. It starts slow then speeds up and doesn't slow down even when it reaches the zoomed-right-out position.

I havn't seen a change in speed along the rest of the movement, in fact it seems very smooth no matter what speed I zoom at.

Also if you zoom in right until it almost gets to this slow down area, and then plant the rocker back out again, it zooms pretty much full speed from one end to the other, again with a nice smooth motion.

Where abouts does this bump in the road occur in yours?

Paul

Jerry Bixman January 8th, 2002 01:39 PM

Paul, thanks for the input. With a zoom that progressivly speeds up as it reaches full wide it seems that when the rocker gets to about 85% of the detent it jumps rather than ramps to the fastest speed, I dont notice the same effect on a zoom from wide to tight. Hope this makes sense to you.

Jerry

Paul Robinson January 10th, 2002 03:14 AM

Hi there Jerry.

You're quite right in your observations, I think I havn't noticed it before as I try not to use zoom at all while filming if at all possible.

The rocker does seem to find the fastest zoom speed at a strange angle. It's the fact that they havn't really spread all the zoom speeds out smoothly over the entire range.
You have crawl, faster, and progressivly faster which is all quite nice, then it jumps to max speed all of a sudden!
Just something to bear in mind I suppose, you're bound to get used to it.
Better still, get one of those Varizoom gadgets.

Paul

Jerry Bixman January 10th, 2002 10:07 AM

Paul, I do have one of the Stealth varizoom controllers, the same thing happens when I zoom with it with it which leads me to believe that it is not related to the mechanics of the rocker on the lens.

Jerry