How do you know what you are shooting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do you know what you are shooting?

This question probably wins the award for "dumbest of the year", but, without an LCD on the xl1/1s, how do you have any idea what results you are getting?
In other words, with all the manual settings that are available, how do you judge if image is too dark, too light, out of focus, etc?
Mike Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:43 PM   #2
Wrangler

Based on what you see in the color viewfinder (CVF), zebra bar indication, the exposure control indicator that can be displayed on the CVF, and a bit of experience. Judging precise focus may be the most difficult.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Coco
This question probably wins the award for "dumbest of the year", but, without an LCD on the xl1/1s, how do you have any idea what results you are getting?
In other words, with all the manual settings that are available, how do you judge if image is too dark, too light, out of focus, etc?

theres a viewfinder
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Major Player

The best advice I can give is to take it out and shoot with it in all the different modes. Slate your shots before each take with the camera settings and roll some tape on each one. Then play it back on a monitor or capture it with your editing system and check the results there. Either way your going to get the answers you're looking for. Shoot outdoors, light some objects indoors, then shoot in low light, all in the same setting on the camera, then switch the settings and repeat, just remeber to slate the tape with the settings for each particular setting. You'll find out what your camera is capable of in no time. Good Luck.

Mark Bournes
Shark Video Productions
Mark Bournes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:13 PM   #5
Major Player

... i might have misread the question sorry if i did.. if not... then: there's a viewfinder
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a pro camera now. I am just studying and getting some ideas.
I see that the xl's are highly thought of. The "missing" LCD just got me wondering!
thanks,
mike
Mike Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:40 PM   #7
Major Player

mike.. i went from the gl1 to the xl1s and i dont miss the lcd at all... i might end up getting a monitor for it but the viewfinder does a great job

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog