XL1s Problem relating to tapes... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 4th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #1
New Boot

XL1s Problem relating to tapes...

Hello all,

I was about to upload a video from a weekend of shooting when I encountered a fairly serious problem in my mind. I put the first tape in to rewind for upload, and while rewinding the tape was unwound, twisted, tore, etc etc. I got the remove tape warning. I thought it may had been a problem with the tape so I put a blank one in and it had the same problem. I'm not familiar at all with problems like this, so I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and/or if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do next.

Thanks in advance all!
Jack Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Oh,man ,breaking tapes?I would let an expert check it out.Send it in for a check out.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Jack...sounds pretty familiar to me! My XL1s started doing the exact same thing a couple of months ago (only a month out of its warranty and hardly used), when rewinding a tape the message 'Remove the Cassette' would appear. This would happen say 1 in 5 times when rewinding, and at least half the times, when removing the cassette it would have been chewed up. Not good! I did a search on the net and found that its seems to be quite a common occurance with Canon tape transport and not just relative to the XL models.

I took the camera into my nearest Canon agent and they very quickly diagnosed a faulty part...idle gears. They replaced the part and I had the camera back within 48 hours. It cost about £80 (Be about $140 I suppose).

Everything has been fine since, my advice would be get it looked at, certainly if its happened more than a couple of times.
Carl Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #4
New Boot

Very helpful, thank you.

$140, yikes, I had better things to spend my money on. Oh well. I'll probably send it back to Canon to have it fixed and make sure all is well. Thanks again.

EDIT: Where exactly did you take/send your camera to get it back so fast?
Jack Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

See http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/skinny.php#service for Canon Service contact info.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I know...tons of better ways to spend 140 bucks eh? I'm in the UK and luckily only 10 miles from a service agent. As I had a wedding to film within 5 days of the fault they really helped me out and turned it around in 2 days.

They did actually say that they keep a good stock of that particular part as it was a 'popular' fault....Hope you get it sorted.
Carl Barlow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog