New Dumb XL1 owner at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 7th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Dumb XL1 owner

Hi, I just bought my first Xl1 (also my first real Camera) and I don't know the first thing about it.

Is there anything I should know about first, or should I just mess around with it, till I figure it out?

Also, the zoom lever on the top handle dosen't zoom in, it only zooms out, is that because it's broken or is there somthing else I don't know about?

I would appreciate any input or advice.
William Dortignac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #2
Major Player

hey william. welcome aboard.

it would probably help to experiment with the camera first, then come back with specific questions. here are some general rules while you play:

1) always power down the camera before taking the lens on/off.
2) when outdoors, keep your viewfinder pointed down when not in use to protect it from the sun (which will create burnouts on the lcd).

your zoom rocker should zoom you in/out and it sounds like a malfunction. you should send the camera in to canon service for fixing and general recalibrating, but this might cost you a pretty significant chunk of change. i remember when i sent my xl1 in for "recalibration" a few years back... they told me my drum head was bad, and it ended up costing me close to $800 to get everything in order. definitely worth it, but i don't know if you can justify the added expense.

good luck, and hope to hear your future experiences with the new camera...
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Wrangler

Used camcorder? No manual? You can download it from the Canon website: www.canondv.com
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tips,

Yes it is used, and thanks for the info on the manual
William Dortignac is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog