DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Canon XL1S audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/62680-canon-xl1s-audio.html)

Nick Manuel March 12th, 2006 04:51 PM

Canon XL1S audio

Need Help-

I recorded my first wedding last night with my Canon XL1S. I used Samson wireless mics on my MA200 plugged into Right Video 2. On VCR setup I chose 12bit St 1,2 so I could use my on board mic and my wireless mics. I just captured the video off my camera and all I have is the audio from the onboard mic (audio 1). So I plugged in headphones and put audio monitor on ST2 and I can hear the people speaking into the wireless mic. Before capturing is there a setting on the camera that I need to change so I will get both audios or is there a way just to send one channel out when in VCR mode. I'm using Vegas 5 and it may be a setting in Vegas but I'm not sure? It looks like its just capturing stereo audio from my onboard mic. My stomach in sick and I'm hoping I can get this fixed so I can sleep tonight. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brett Tuttle March 12th, 2006 07:30 PM

the audio you want will be on channels 3 & 4 so if you are digitizing from the camera you will need to make two passes for audio or change your play back audio on your mini dv deck to 3 & 4

Jack Smith March 12th, 2006 09:06 PM

Did you set the audio2 in setting ,found in the menu, to line?
Also what are you capturing with? Some programs do not support 4 channel natively.

Nick Manuel March 13th, 2006 07:39 AM

I'm using Vegas 5.0 is capture the audio. I think that may be my problem. I have audio 2 set to mic.

Patrick King March 13th, 2006 08:04 AM

Nick,
You need Scenalyzer. Look at this post, or run a search on Scenalyzer in this forum.

Its amazing to me that as full featured as Vegas is, that I have to spend another $40 bucks for a product to acquire 4 channel audio when much lower end Pinnacle products do it natively.

Rey Soares March 23rd, 2006 08:22 PM

Hey Nick, I have faced a similar problem with the exactly same camera and mic system. The only difference is that I used only Audio 2 and edit it in FCExpress. The audio did never got uploaded to the software.
My only solution was to export it to iMovie, save it and import it into FCExpress. It is not only a problem when using Vegas. I had many people helping to figure it out from this great website, but I still don't understand what is happening.

Jack Smith March 23rd, 2006 11:19 PM

Nick, as Patrick said ,get Scenalyzer,as it will capture 4 channel.
Rey, to understand what is happening, most NLE s capture the video and 2 channels of audio.When you record 12bit 4 channel ,2 channels are not seen by your NLE.You need to cap using a program that does see the other 2 channels.

Rey Soares March 25th, 2006 10:01 AM

Hey Jack, is it because I use Final Cut Express? Will I be facing the same problems If I was using Final Cut Pro? Now, if there is no solutions for this issue, what software should I get to work with Apple? Any free solutions out there? Thanks again!

Jack Smith March 25th, 2006 06:57 PM

Rey, I believe FCP 4 is able to capture the 3&4 channels with a second pass of capture otherwise if you mix the channels you can't seperate them(BAD)Not sure about 5.0,but I believe it is the same .Maybe someone who is on FCP 5.0 can chime in and let you know.

Mark Whittle April 24th, 2006 01:56 AM

For those using Premiere Pro with a Matrox RTX100 card, there is an option in the capture settings to capture the second audio stream (tracks 3 & 4) at the same time. This gets saved as a separate wave file with the same name as its avi file. You will need to manually import these wav files.

Or if you capture using Matrox MediaTools outside of Premiere, you can do the same. It is a pity Adobe doesn't let you do this natively.

Mark