2x converter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 13th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

2x converter?

What am I looking for for ultra zoom. I have a IS 16x lens right now, but wanted something for long range zoom on nature/wildlife. I've heard of a 2x zoom but not sure what it is or looks like. Can someone post a link to the product? How does something like that affect low light conditions (i.e. does it reduce light penetration) and what should I be expecting to pay for it?
Christopher Leclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

re: 2x

It's just a 72mm screw-on type lens that you stack on top of the stock 16x lens. You can pick one up for $120ish. there might be a very, very small amount of light loss due to the added elements but I've never really noticed anything.

here's one on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-XL1S-XL1-7...QQcmdZViewItem
David Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

I would be very leary of those cheapy tele extenders. I got one for my GL1, and everything turned out way too soft. It makes a good paperweight though...
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Major Player

I don't think there are any good 2x XL extenders. If you need more range, perhaps the best way to get it would be with the EF adapter and EF lenses. Canon does make 1.4x and 2x extenders for their ef lenses.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #5
Wrangler

here's a link to the 1.6x designed for the XL cameras:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=0&image.y=0

the 2x is designed for its 35mm line of lenses, and, as andrew points out, can be used with an XL camera, EF adapter, and EOS series of 35mm lenses. you might want to do a search here for using 35mm lenses with an XL camera, if you want ultra zoom. 1.6x will give you a bit more reach but not what i'd call "ultra".....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

In terms of the specifics does a 16x lens with 1.6x does that in turn make it a 25.6x lens (essentially)?
Christopher Leclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Major Player

no, you need to multiply the mm measurement of the lens (I forget what it is for the 16x IS) by 1.6.

In my opinion, the X measurement isn't really useful and it's more informative to use mm in most situations.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

RE: 2x thingy

yeah it's true those extenders aren't a great way to go. One thing I did for wildlife (and spy-photo looking shots for my upcoming project) is to get one of those XL-to-NIKON mounts from xl1solutions, ZGC, Lesbosher etc... and mount 35mm nikon lenses for some pretty freakin' crazy telephoto shots. because your puting a 35mm lens directly in front of a 1/3"ccd, the diference in target size will change the focal legth of a 100mm lens to something like 700mm.
David Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone, I haven't decided what route to take just yet, but I'll check into that stuff. The budget is pretty tight right now, so I might just hold off considering the cheaper alternative seems to not yeild the desired result.
Christopher Leclair is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog