DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Contemplating between the GL2 and XL1S... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/6300-contemplating-between-gl2-xl1s.html)

Ryan Krga January 23rd, 2003 08:33 PM

Contemplating between the GL2 and XL1S...

I have been looking at both cameras throughly. They are both getting to be similar prices now (XL1S slightly higher) and I cannot decide! I know that the GL2 is smaller and since its the newest in technology it is getting my attention. The XL1S is more of a professional camera, slightly bigger.

Can someone please help me out here.

I keep getting that feeling that if I purchase the GL2 I would be more satisfied with the XL1S.

Thanks,
Ryan Krga

Scott Silverman January 23rd, 2003 08:53 PM

Hi Ryan,
I went through a little bit of the same thing you are going through. I ended up going with the GL2 for a variety of reasons. Infact the XL1s wasn't considered as for more that a week or so (out of my total of 5 months of research pricing). One questions that I ask you that should help you make the decision and will help everyone else help you is: What will you be using the camera for? As soon as you answer this you can get a little further as to choosing a camera. They are both excellent cameras and will serve you well, so it comes down to your needs.

Ryan Krga January 23rd, 2003 08:58 PM

I am going to be filming commercials/music videos. I am going to add the music in Premiere 6.5 so audio isnt a big factor in shooting the music video. But when I shoot commercials I am going to want a decent mic to work with.

I am on a budget of under 2500, so I think I am going to purchase it off of Ebay, then maybe have some money left over to get a nice shotgun mic, maybe a ME66.

I also film outdoor rollerblading so I will need a camera great for outdoor use also.

Thanks for the reply,
Ryan Krga

Scott Silverman January 23rd, 2003 09:21 PM

Well, if you're on a budget of under $2500 I would say you should definately go with the GL2. That way you can buy a nice mic (the ME66 is a very nice mic, I am looking into buying one now for my GL2), a MA-300 or a Beachtek of some sort, a decent tripod, a case for the camera, and maybe a wide angle lens. You probably won't be able to buy all that for under $2500 unless you find a great deal on eBay for your GL2, but it will get you off to a good start. The GL2 is portable, easily fits in tight spots (if your shooting in a car or on the ground for a different perspective, etc), will save you cash, has a great set of features, plus much more! If you need interchangable lenses then you should consider the XL1s, but if you budget is under $2500 you probably wouldn't be able to get an XL1s and a lens and accessories. Also the GL2 dosn't attract as much attention as the XL1s, which in my case is good. When I am filming outdoors and there are people (passerbys) around I want them looking and acting normal, not gawking at my camera wondering "What the heck is he doing?" Maybe someone else could give their input also but I would say your best bet is the GL2. You won't regret it. It's a wonderful camera! Good luck in your purchasing and make sure you are happy with what your buying. If your heart is set on the XL1s, then get the XL1s! They both will suit you well.

Also: if you are purchasing on eBay, be careful! There are a lot of scams out there! Here is an article on the forum's site about eBay and how NOT to be scammed.
http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/buyersguide/ebay.php

Ryan Krga January 23rd, 2003 09:28 PM

I think I am going to go with the GL2. Thank you so much for your input. It has helped out a lot.

Also, thanks for the link.

Ryan Krga

Dylan Couper January 23rd, 2003 10:23 PM

If it's not too late....

Consider, if people are paying you to shoot commercials or videos, or you are trying to get business, the XL1(s) is a much more impressive camera. People who are impressed by your gear are more likely to take you seriously, and more likely to hire you or pay you more.
If the XL1 gets you even one more gig that way, it will pay the difference right there. It does draw a lot of attention, in a good way if you are looking to make connections and money.

If someone offered me a brand new GL2 in exchange for my old XL1, I wouldn't take it.