TIME CODE with XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 24th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

TIME CODE with XL1S

I want to pre-stripe my tape with the XL1S by putting fresh tape in and recording all the way to the end so I have my time code imbedded...now, for syncing in editing, will the time code run continuous - or will it stop/start when I stop / start recording? This may be a stupid question, and I'm new to this..but learning. Thanks
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Also, when I'm beginning a new scene or take / can I made an audible "BEEP" sound just to have a audible starting point to use as a reference with the time coding information?? I don't have a clap sticks.
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #3
Wrangler

If you black the tipe (e.g., record with the lens cap on), time code should end up continuous, starting at zero and ending at a bit over an hour for a standard 60-minute tape, and any inserts recorded to the tape should hvae the same timecode.

As for a "beep' any noise source near a live mic can provide the tone if you you feel you need it; e.g., a small desk bell, voice saying "beep", make your own clapper with a hinge and a couple short boards, etc.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What is the benefit of blacking the tape, is it something I should be considering?
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Wrangler

Ensures no breaks (i.e., un-recorded space) in time code over the length of the tape, which is helpful when capturing from tape. It is not necessary for most users, and mainly adds wear to the heads. But some folks like to do it anyway.

Could also be used, with an instrumented VCR, to play the tape and check for dropouts, but most folks and not equipped to do that sort of testing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog