DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Time Code Breaks after Shut-Down (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/64326-time-code-breaks-after-shut-down.html)

Nick Chevrefils April 4th, 2006 09:51 AM

Time Code Breaks after Shut-Down

I occasionally have a timecode break after I power down the camera. It happens around 5% of the time. It's a problem because it creates a lot of confusion when I log and capture into the computer. To work around it I always shoot a few seconds of extra video before I power the camera down, and when I power it back on I roll back to ensure I have timecode continuity before I record again. This wastes time and I miss some shots because of it. Anyone else having the same problem or any idea how to avoid? Thanks.

Jack Smith April 4th, 2006 10:06 PM

I've been accustom to overshooting 5 seconds for years, so that is what I do.I actually do it after every shot whether I'm powering down or just in stop.When I power down ,I generally shoot a few seconds with the lense cap on before powering down.This gives a definite scene change and does allow me to roll back a second for time code continuity. I think it's pretty much standard practice.

Nick Chevrefils April 4th, 2006 11:20 PM

Thanks Jack.. My issue isn't the rolling extra seconds before shutdown. It's having the timecode break when I power back up and record again and the process of having to roll back every time to eliminate the risk of the break.

Don Palomaki April 5th, 2006 04:27 AM

You should be able to spot a pending time code break from the time code in the EVF. If it is zero, you hve a break, if not zero there should not be a break. It is most likely to occur if the tape is removed from the camcorder between shoots, or if you preview the a scene.

Using the REC SEARCH (- bitton) is probably the fastest way to move the tape back to a point prior to end of the recording, and when this is successful you should see non-zero timecode in the EVF.

Nick Chevrefils April 5th, 2006 09:14 AM

Thanks Don... I realize that resetting to zero means a timecode break. What I'm trying to find out is if others have this situation. I do roll back into the timecode if it's broken. The problem is that this takes extra time that sometimes means a missed shot.

Jack Smith April 5th, 2006 11:31 PM

Nick, I see what your result problem is.I'm wondering how your running into this ,though.As in what are shooting that you need to powerup and start recording immediatly? As I have not had any problem with TC breaks because when on a shoot I normally don't power down except during a big break.I would only stop the camera as opposed to pause or shutting down.
After a big break,I would always have enough time to run through the setup to check WB,audio,refocus,etc. so at that time a check of TC isn't an issue.
Would going into "stop" solve your issue?