DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Should I buy this Xl-1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/64504-should-i-buy-xl-1-a.html)

Sharon Fraats April 6th, 2006 12:30 PM

Should I buy this Xl-1?

Hey Guys! I haven’t been here in a while jumped out of filming for other reasons yet I am back to buy a camera. A guy has an XL-1 PAL for 700 the camera looks all right. Yet I want to know is am I getting in over my head? It's PAL and my monitor is NTSC as well as the price I think that it being so old it should come down a little. Yet on Ebay there are cameras all higher that this one and he says that is why he is selling it so high.

So what's a woman to do???

Could use some help here on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Bournes April 6th, 2006 02:02 PM

Well if you live in the US, you don't want a PAL version. You want the NTSC version. The pal version wont playback on US systems.

Andrew Todd April 6th, 2006 02:04 PM

whats the price?

Sharon Fraats April 6th, 2006 02:19 PM

He is asking 700

By the way thanks for answering

On a post in the GL-1 area the topic was about the GL-1 PAL version and it’s recording the film look. Now this was before the DVX-100a and it wasn't really recording the film look it's just when you recorded it in Pal then edited in PAL then did an export out in NTSC you got a cool like film look that's one reason I was thinking of buying it. Yet does one get more problems with the conversions of this process?

Mark Bournes April 6th, 2006 03:30 PM

Yes it will. It's not worth the hassle, buy the NTSC version.

Chris Luker April 6th, 2006 04:58 PM

I would be interested in it at that price if it has a lens and viewfinder. I do stuff in France every so often and would love to go native pal.

Sharon Fraats April 6th, 2006 10:57 PM

It does have a lens yet no viewfinder thats the bummer.....

I do like the look that it films though

Thank you all for your ideas and thoughts really.

Chris Hurd April 6th, 2006 11:24 PM

The price might sound attractive, but consider how old it is (its technology is nine years old, and that model was discontinued more than five years ago). Plus you have no idea what shape the heads are in and no way to find out how many hours are on them. It'll need a trip to Canon service to get checked out, cleaned and whatever updates are due, and that's another $250. Plus, no viewfinder, and you'll have to transcode from PAL to NTSC just to see what you've recorded... either that or buy a PAL monitor and carry it around. Frankly I would pass. Find yourself a used GL2 or DVX100.

Sharon Fraats April 7th, 2006 11:12 AM

Chris hearing this one from you and I do mean from you personally I think I'll pass on this one.

Thank you for taking the time on this posting and giving your advice.

In the words of Snuffy Smith "Nuff Said"

Chris Hurd April 7th, 2006 10:56 PM

You're doing the right thing, Sharon. This guy will find a buyer on Ebay.