XL1s and 1394 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 9th, 2002, 09:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1s and 1394

I'm new at the Canon XL1s and the whole 1394 thing. I'm planning on buying a 1394 card and cable today.

I found the "SIIG DV-Cam Kit" at Best Buy for $79 which which includes the PCI card and a DV cable.

My questions are these:

1 - Will the SIIG 1394 PCI card work good with the XL1s?
2 - Does one end of the 1394 cable included with this kit fit into the XL1s? It's a 6 pin to 4 pin DV cable. If this cable is not correct, what type do I need to buy?

I wasn't sure if this particular question was appropriate for this forum, so if not, I appologize.

Thanks,
Ron
ronluc8667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2002, 09:53 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm not familiar with the card you mention, but the cable is probably OK. The Canon uses the 4-pin, and most cards (and MACS) are 6-pin.

Vic
Vic Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2002, 10:01 AM   #3
New Boot

Just an FYI,
You may want to take a look at post: XL1 and Premiere: Recording at 29.95
-Brad
Brad_DeWees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2002, 10:58 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ron,
Just to clarify Vic's comment (since this little issue led me to waste time and money when I was new to 1394 cabling several years ago) there are 2 types of Firewire cable connections (i.e. "1394", "iLink").

"6-pin" connectors, when viewed end-on, are rectanguar with one end of the rectangle flat and the other rounded. This connector carries the standard 4 signal wires as 2 wires for low-voltage power, thus enabling some devices to be powered completely by the Firewwire bus.

"4-pin" connectors are smaller rectangles which, when viewed end-on, have one side of the rectangle dimpled to mate with a 4-pin port. As you'd imagine, 4 pin connectors carry only signal, no power.

As Vic noted video cameras have 4-pin 1394 connections while most 1394 adapters have 6-pin connections. This is no problem at all. Just make sure you have a 6-pin - to - 4-pin cable on hand. While you're buying 1394 cable you may as well also get a 6-pin to 6-pin cable. You're sure to need it some really cold, rainy day.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2002, 12:19 PM   #5
gratedcheese

What is the maximum length 1394 cable can be?

I have a CD burner that I need to place farther from my cpu than the cable is long.

-- Alan
Old January 9th, 2002, 12:31 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I don't know. I do know that the maximum standard length of a 1394 cable is 4.5m. I have seen long cabes for sale but I would imagine that a powered 1394 hub would be called for.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog