Stupid question from a newbie about fuzzy mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 2nd, 2003, 09:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stupid question from a newbie about fuzzy mics

I noticed that some of the XL1 camera's have the fuzzy mcs..what is this for? I suppose it's for cutting down on wind? not sure..but please do tell

Thanks in advance
Adam Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 11:14 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Not a "stupid" question at all, Adam!

Indeed, the "fuzzy" gizmos are windscreens such as those from Rycote and Lightwave Systems. Rycote makes one of the original, and arguably the best, such hairy windscreens, having won a technical Academy Award for their Windjammer and Softie products several years ago.

These hairballs are much more effective in gusty or high winds than conventional foam windscreens. Their principal is basically to diffuse the pressure fluctuations that cause low-frequency wind noise on mics. Rycote's screens also feature a relatively elaborate internal suspension to mitigate mechanical vibration transmission from the screen to the mic.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 05:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Just a side note... These will reduce your audio signal by 6-15 dB depeding on the actual unit. Another side note.. on the movie set we call them "dead cats" :-D
Tim Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #4
Wrangler

They also give your camera a more "cuddly" appeal.
Nori Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 05:34 PM   #5
Major Player

When I see Rycote Softies listed, what do MH/SH/LH mean??
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:50 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Barry,
Those acronymns had me bewildered for a while, too. They stand for Medium Hair, Short Hair and Long Hair, respectively. These may be particularly pertinent factors if, say, you are planning to use a Softie on your camera and don't want its "bangs" dangling into your frame. Also, long-hair Softies offer the greatest attenuation of wind noise but also attenuate all sound just a bit more.

I suppose that if someone errs they should err on the long-hair side. They would then have the option of taking the thing to a barber.

Rycote takes their hair very seriously, and packs a nylon brush with each (shotgun) Softie.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog