XL1 good? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1 good?

A man is selling me a brand new XL1 on eBay for $1200.
He is a power seller, and I was wondering, is the Canon XL1 a good deal?
Mel Abdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I don't see how it can be a "brand new" XL1 considering that this camcorder was discontinued years ago, unless it's old unopened stock that he's kept around all this time.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:06 AM   #3
Major Player

I'd go for an XL2 or, for that price, you can get a Sony A1U at B&H for like, $1,700 after the rebate IIRC.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Felis
I'd go for an XL2 ...
I completely agree. When I was using an XL1 instead of our XL2, I was missing natural 16x9, 30p and 24p, multiple ND filter settings, BNC connection, audio levels in the viewfinder...

Yeah, XL2's are better and, to me, worth the extra money.
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Abdo
A man is selling me a brand new XL1 on eBay for $1200.
He is a power seller, and I was wondering, is the Canon XL1 a good deal?
Just cause he's a power seller does not mean it's not a scam. Scammer love to hijack power sellers accounts just for that reason. I'm seeing big red flags. I'd look elsewhere. Like this on this board in the classified. Post a WANTED and I'm sure you can find what you're looking for at a good price from people who have been around a while. I would trust people on this board way before I would trust anyone on Ebay. I don't care if they are a Power Seller with 10,000 positive feedbacks.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:54 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bray
Just cause he's a power seller does not mean it's not a scam. Scammer love to hijack power sellers accounts just for that reason. I'm seeing big red flags. I'd look elsewhere. Like this on this board in the classified. Post a WANTED and I'm sure you can find what you're looking for at a good price from people who have been around a while. I would trust people on this board way before I would trust anyone on Ebay. I don't care if they are a Power Seller with 10,000 positive feedbacks.

Unfortunately, Mel is brand new here and it will take some time before he has access to the classifieds section. He also posted another thread similar to this one and I basically gave him the same advice you did (ie: smells fishy to me).

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I bought a $1000 camcorder from a power seller for $200, works good. Just check the feedback and under that click on the item number to see what he sold. If they have sold many other camcorders with positive feedback, I highly doubt it is a scam.
Neil Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

make sure it is not a "gray market" camera. check places like KEH.com, i got my xl1s there used for $1500 and it is perfect. they are a great company. B&H also sells used.
Michael Sweeney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog