DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 good intermediate camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/65687-xl1-good-intermediate-camera.html)

Mel Abdo April 22nd, 2006 12:41 PM

XL1 good intermediate camera?

I am an intermediate videographer, and I was wondering, I found a non-opened XL1 on eBay from a Powerseller, and I can buy it from him for $1000.
I have been maing videos for about 1 year, so would this be a good investment.
I like the manual controls, and I ESPECIALLY like the shoulder-mounting capabilities.
I want to look professional, and I will put the video on a computer to put on the internet.

My price range is $1200.

Greg Boston April 22nd, 2006 12:47 PM

Forgive my skepticism Mel, but that sounds like a bogus offer. Used XL-1 cameras are selling for more than that and I just have a hard time believing that there is an XL-1 sitting around brand spanking new somewhere. I could be wrong but the point is I 'personally' would run away from that ad as fast as I could.

-gb-

Mel Abdo April 22nd, 2006 01:07 PM

Well, it isn't "Brand new", but the guy has sold 1802 things, and has a 99.5% positive feedback, and is a power seller.
I don't think it is "brand new", but this is a seller I can trust!

Dan Keaton April 22nd, 2006 07:12 PM

I would be very cautious.

Some scamers have highjacked a good ebayer's id and used it to run their scams.

Check out the type of merchandise usually sold by this seller.

An in-the-box Xl1 maybe real, but I would use a great amount of caution. You need more than a good feedback number.

Don Palomaki April 23rd, 2006 04:41 AM

"Non-opened" and not "brand-new" is unisual. The XL1 has been out of production for ~5 years and unlike Star Wars figures and Barbie Dolls, was is not a normally considered collectable adn likley to stay in an unopened box for future sale. I agree with the advice to approach the offer with great care.

If the guy really is a power seller you can probably find out more about him. For startters, try Google his ID. And and be sure to escrow any buy to give you some protection

Who knows, it might be a rare real deal - the spoils of an ugly divorce or an estate where the person who ended up with the camcorder did not know the value. Do hot goods find their way to E-Bay?

Mel Abdo April 23rd, 2006 08:14 AM

Can somebody here sell me a Canon XL1? :)

Mathieu Ghekiere April 23rd, 2006 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel Abdo

If you want to know that, you should go here to our Private Classifieds board, look around, and open a new thread called: wanted: XL1.
Or something. Tell your budget and stuff.
The Private Classifieds board is where people here sell their gear.

Good luck!

Mel Abdo April 23rd, 2006 10:57 AM

I can't see it anywhere.. ? :(

Greg Boston April 23rd, 2006 11:02 AM

Quote:

Yes, but not for $1200. As I stated earlier, the used market for that camera is somewhat higher. If you can stretch a bit, I can sell you mine provided the other person I've been talking to doesn't want it.

-gb-

Mel Abdo April 23rd, 2006 11:07 AM

How much would that be? :)

Mathieu Ghekiere April 23rd, 2006 11:13 AM

Mel,

the reason why you can't see the Private Classifieds boards is because you have to be here for a while (60 days I think) before you, as member, can see that board.
I think it's because Chris (Hurd) doesn't want new members to only come here to sell or buy stuff, but to contribute to the community.

but, apparently, you already have a potential seller ;-)

Greg Boston April 23rd, 2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

How much would that be? :)

Sorry for not replying earlier, Mel. I am at NAB and had press conferences to attend all day. I think any further discussion of this possible transaction needs to take place off the forum. You can click on my name to send me an email and I will respond to you privately. Even though you aren't yet qualified to buy or sell here at DVINFO, as a moderator I want to help you out so that you don't get taken advantage of by other sites.

regards,

-gb-