DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1s on the big screen for filmfestival...? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/66614-xl1s-big-screen-filmfestival.html)

Mathieu Ghekiere May 4th, 2006 06:20 AM

XL1s on the big screen for filmfestival...?

Hi,

we are planning to shoot a short film on an XL1s, this summer, and we would send it to a big filmfestival which only exepts film and betatapes - whatever it's shot on. I'm pretty sure their projectors will be very good quality too

Assuming we are shooting in Frame Mode AND in 16/9, can it look good enough on the big screen?
I know content is king, and lightening matters, but these things will be fine, I just wanted to know if it would be okay enough.
Enough, not to distract.
It's not a film, like Festen or Blair Witch Project, that really wants to play with the look, but just a genuine short.

And how much better would an XL2 be? Or would the difference be minimal on the big screen?

Thanks,

Chris Luker May 4th, 2006 12:44 PM

The XL2 has native 16:9 ccds, the XL1s doesn't, so you would lose some resolution. But, if everything is shot well, I think you'll be just fine with the xl1s in fame mode and 16:9.

Cole McDonald May 4th, 2006 12:56 PM

the XL1s crops in camera from a 4x3 frame. I would shoot 4x3 and crop to 16x9 in post so you have allowance for headroom adjustments after the fact. framing is a PITA with 16x9 in a 4x3 viewfinder also. turn on your 16x9 guides and leave yourself options for post.

Mathieu Ghekiere May 4th, 2006 03:17 PM

Yes, I know the XL2 has native 16/9, and I indeed was planning to shoot with the guidelines because it's easier to frame (but thanks anyway for this advice), but I just wanted to know, because I know you loose some resolution with frame mode and 16/9, that, with a good projector, it's good enough on the big screen.
Anybody personal experience?

Joshua Provost May 4th, 2006 03:20 PM

Matthew, it depends largely on the projector and size of screen, a couple of factors that are out of your control. I have seen both brilliant and horrid projection of all kinds of DV. The best you can do is shoot excellent quality video, and hope the projector, screen, and theater work to your advantage in the end.

Mathieu Ghekiere May 4th, 2006 03:23 PM

Hi Joshua

It will be a normal theater screen, so pretty large, but (if it gets accepted) it will be in a professional movie theatre, so the projector and theater will be all very good quality.

Joshua Provost May 4th, 2006 03:37 PM

Well, the bigger the screen, the worse it will be, you understand, since you're blowing up a low res image so big. Usually theaters have a variety of screens, depending on the popularity of the films they play in them.

Also, do not assume anything about the quality of projectors at a professional theater. I have been at theaters that had great projectors in one theater and crappy projectors right next door.

It's a crap shoot unless you can really research it, but that's really beside the point. Your footage can look good, but it may not depending on the circumstances. Using an XL2 for real progressive and real widescreen will improve your footage and improve your chances of it looking good on the big screen.

I've had footage from much less worthy cameras look pretty good... under the right conditions.

Ash Greyson May 4th, 2006 04:13 PM

I shot a doc mainly on the XL1s and it looked fine on the big screen. I did 4:3 though, most festival will project 4:3 meaning there are bars on the sides... on a big screen it doesnt really matter. Content is 90% what they are after...

ash =o)

Mathieu Ghekiere May 4th, 2006 04:40 PM

Thanks for the replies.

So I know it's possible. We'll make sure to make the content very intriguing and light it professionally, have professional dolly track shots etcetera

Thanks,