Have I overlooked an ability of the XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 11th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Have I overlooked an ability of the XL1S

Hello everybody, please forgive me if this is one of those questions that will be answered by one of our pro's here and make me look silly, but. I was looking at a website for adapters. They had adapters for turning s-video into an RCA connection. I started to read up on S-video connections and it was discribed as being a Y and C composite signal. below are the quotes.

"S-Video (also called Y/C or component video) is carried on cables
that end in 4-pin Mini-DIN connectors".

"Y/C signals use two separate video signals. The luminance (Y)
is the black & white portion, providing brightness information.
The chrominance, or chroma (C) is the color portion, providing
hue and saturation information.".

I know it can't possibly be the same "composite" as pro equipment, So here's the question. What type is it? Some websites haves cables for converting s-video into RCA? some s-video to composite? We (I) generally overlook s-video as common useful output, have we missed something. If s-video (according to all the manuals I have read) is better quality than RCA, then how can it be converted back to RCA by simple cables?

http://www.svideotorca.com/ http://www.datapro.net/videodoc.html

Thanks
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2003, 09:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi central FLA

Ummm,

When you write pro composite do you mean

component?

Composite = Bad
S video = better
Component=
r/r-y
g/y
b/b-y
Old February 11th, 2003, 10:10 PM   #3
Warden

S-Video (S-VHS, Hi-8mm etc.) is composite video, not component. The composite signal is put through a comb filter and you have Y/C (S-Video). The advantage of Y/C is 400+ lines of resolution and reduced cross talk in the color. The resolution shows up in your images as greater detail. Cross talk is the image deterioration in high frequency detail (busy plaid or pattern the weatherman wears, looks like he is crawling with ants).

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 05:27 AM   #4
Major Player

So how can (or can it) cables convert s-video to a single RCA video signal?

Does anyone have experience with a company called Harmonic Research. They have a line of products for

Model VC101A - NTSC to RGB/S
Model VC111A - NTSC to Component
Model VC102A - PAL to RGB/S
Model VC112A - PAL to Component
Model CV223 - RGB/S to Video
Model CV233 - Component to Video

I know, some one is going to ask "what are you trying to do", the only answer I can give is, learn.

the company also has line doublers, claiming they can make NTSC look good on high def displays?

http://www.hrx.com/

snake oil??

Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 06:00 AM   #5
Wrangler

S-video (s for separate) can provide better video because it avoids the signal separation process that splits the chroma from the luma portion of the video signal. To do this splitting process well requires sophisticated circuitry (e.g., comb filters) only recently added to the higher end consumer gear. Low cost gear used simple low- and high-pass filters that reduced signal resolution significantly while showing artifacts of the poor filtration.

Why comb filters work is a rather technical discussion best left for research.

One can reform the composite video signal from the s-video signal by simply ading the two signals. The cables that do this trust to the connected equipment having proper input and output impedances.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 06:05 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Don and Jeff, Don I believe I added some things (edited) to the post since you replied.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog