DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Audio 2 XL1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/6836-audio-2-xl1s.html)

Dan O'Bannon February 11th, 2003 10:08 PM

Audio 2 XL1s

When I plug an external mike into audio 2 on the handle from RCA jacks I get no sound. Im using the ma100 In the menu Im setting the audio to stero 1-2. What am I missing, does any one know,

Thanks Dan

Jeff Donald February 11th, 2003 10:54 PM

How are you converting the audio to RCA connectors? What make and model mic are you using?

Dan O'Bannon February 12th, 2003 02:37 AM

Thanks. Im going through the ma100 and using Azden shotgun mike

Don Palomaki February 12th, 2003 05:40 AM

Did you select 12-Bit, ST 1-2 record mode from the menu (reads like you did)?

Did you set the sensitivity of the Audio 2 input to MIC (or perhaps MIC ATT) from the menu? It defaults to line level.

If sound is not in the earphones, did you select to montor the St-2 sound?

If the problem is capturing sound to your NLE, does your capture software support 4-channel sound. Many capture programs do NOT support 4-channel. A work around is to capture St 2 analog audio output with a sound card.

A too obvious question perhaps, but is the MA-100 power cord connected to the jack at the back of the handle?

Nathan Gifford February 12th, 2003 07:54 AM

Press the monitor button until you get either 'mix' or 'ST-2'. That will allow you to hear the sub channels.

The other option for your NLE is to use Scenalyzer which will allow you to capture all 4-tracks.

Dan O'Bannon February 12th, 2003 10:57 AM

Thank You,

The mike works fine in audio1 jacks on the back of the handle when in stero 1, 12 bit or 16 bit but when I plug the rca jacks into audio 2 on the side of the handle and switch to stero 1-2, 12 bit there is no signal on my on board meter or in my ear phones, any more tips would be appreciated, like i say audio 1 works fine but it would be nice to also have the option to work with audio 2 for stero effect.

What is NLE?

Thanks Dan O'Bannon

Jacques Mersereau February 12th, 2003 03:35 PM

NLE= Non Linear Editor or simply put computerized video editing.

There seems to be some confusion (to me at least) reading your post.

The XL1 and XL1s have the ability to record to either two or four tracks.

The first two tracks (a stereo pair) are generally set up for the camera's stereo mic. You are using an MA100 and an Azden shotgun. The Azden works if you
go into the MA100 and then hook its RCA to channels 1 or 2 . . . right?

If you want to use the camera's mic AND another mono microphone, you have
to go into four track recording mode in your menu settings. That drops the audio sample rate from 2 tracks @ 16 bit (stereo) to 4 tracks @ 12 bit.

From reading your first post it seemed as if you had the camera mic plugged in,
but were trying to also use the *SECOND SET* of RCA inputs so that you could
record your mono Azden shot gun to channel 3 or 4?

If true, then you have to go into the menu settings and select 4 channel recording. You have to make sure the RCAs from the MA100 are plugged into
the second set of RCA inputs. You have to also select (don't have my XL1 here)
mic input on both the menu settings AND the switches behind the white fold out door (I think). If all setting are correct, this should work unless your Azden shotgun takes phantom power, which I would assume it does NOT because it worked on channels 1&2.

If all else fails, please read the fine manual as I am replying from my pathetic
memory.

Dan O'Bannon February 12th, 2003 07:19 PM

Thanks everyone, mystery solved, it was the monitor button, I had it set on stero 1, didn't relize you could switch to stero 2 or both, works fine now.

Back to it, thanks again!

Dan O'Bannon