DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 Film Mode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/69021-xl1-film-mode.html)

AJ Handegard June 6th, 2006 04:13 PM

XL1 Film Mode

From what I gather the XL1 doesn't shoot in 24p, but I know it's been used in many independent features and shorts. What does one do to create that film-type look on a project using the XL1?

Philip Williams June 6th, 2006 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ Handegard
From what I gather the XL1 doesn't shoot in 24p, but I know it's been used in many independent features and shorts. What does one do to create that film-type look on a project using the XL1?

Generally I think they use the PAL model and shoot in frame mode at 25fps and then conform to 24fps. If I'm wrong there will probably be corrections shortly.

www.philipwilliams.com

Cole McDonald June 6th, 2006 10:33 PM

lighting, set design, costume and camera movement/lack thereof adds alot to the "Film Look". Perhaps more than shooting 24p and 1/48 shutter can do. Protect your whites, if they blow out, your picture will scream digital. Use a polarizer. Use ND filters to allow you to open the iris as far as it will go (little numbers for f-stop) place your subject away from the background (10 feet is a good distance, more is better), place your camera 5-10 feet from your subject and focus on them, the background should start to soften hiding the digital feel of the picture. Lower your sharpness. Avoid reds.

AJ Handegard June 8th, 2006 11:30 AM

Thanks for the responses guys

Appreciate it.

Colin Jones June 8th, 2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
lighting, set design, costume and camera movement/lack thereof adds alot to the "Film Look". Perhaps more than shooting 24p and 1/48 shutter can do. Protect your whites, if they blow out, your picture will scream digital. Use a polarizer. Use ND filters to allow you to open the iris as far as it will go (little numbers for f-stop) place your subject away from the background (10 feet is a good distance, more is better), place your camera 5-10 feet from your subject and focus on them, the background should start to soften hiding the digital feel of the picture. Lower your sharpness. Avoid reds.

Why avoid reds? Couldn't you correct in post?

Colin

Cole McDonald June 8th, 2006 08:41 PM

The compression used in miniDV is absolutely brutal to reds. They tend to lose their detail and become large swaths of pure unnatural bright red.

Justine Haupt June 9th, 2006 07:36 AM

I agree completely wit Cole. Also, I would consider it better to shoot in standard mode with the XL1 and simply deinterlace in post, which is about standard practice anyway... I have more experience with the XL2, but when using the XL1, I just shoot with normal 60i.

Colin Jones June 9th, 2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
The compression used in miniDV is absolutely brutal to reds. They tend to lose their detail and become large swaths of pure unnatural bright red.

Thanks Cole,

I guess I haven't shot anything with much red in it. I do remember years ago that reds on my old JVC S100 used to turn to a zebra pattern at times. I haven't seen any problems with my XL2 yet. I guess I have been lucky.

Colin

Cole McDonald June 9th, 2006 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Haupt
I agree completely wit Cole. Also, I would consider it better to shoot in standard mode with the XL1 and simply deinterlace in post, which is about standard practice anyway... I have more experience with the XL2, but when using the XL1, I just shoot with normal 60i.

I actually shoot frame mode and am much happier with that than deinterlaced footage. I have tested both, don't have one of those pretty charts to post differences though ;) Maybe one of the folks with charts can whip up a quick resolution test of frame mode vs. deinterlaced footage.