XLR to RCA? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 14th, 2003, 12:12 AM   #1
New Boot

XLR to RCA?

Hello I have a qiuck question in regards to my XL1S, is it possible to use an XLR to RCA plug to connect my ME 66/ K6 straight to the RCA plug on the camera without having to use my MA 200. Will I lose options on the mike, or any audio quality? I know I will if I connect to the mini plug.

If anyone can give me shout I would much appreciate.

God bless sites like this- almost better than school!
Old February 14th, 2003, 01:05 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Alex

I have never done this, but I see no reason why it would not work. The adpter will run somewhere around $15-20. I'm not familiar enough with the XL1s' and MA-200's preamp circuitry so I can't really say whether or not your audio will suffer greatly from such a configuration. Personally, though, I'd be more inclined to plug the mic into the Mic port via a mini plug. The Audio In ports are probably not designed to take a mic directly...which is where the MA-x00's come into the picture.

If you try it, let us know your results.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 01:30 AM   #3
New Boot

XLR to Mic mini?

Thank you Ken for your speedy reply. Somewhere on this site, which now I can't find, I read that using the ME 66 with a XLR to the Mic mini would lose, if I remember correctly, the cancelling feature of the mic... my reason to not using the MA 200 is for compact and lite shooting. I would like to fully use the mics features.

If there is no lose or maybe just a little, then I'm ready to shoot the world- or at least NYC.
Old February 14th, 2003, 01:57 AM   #4

Alex,
I think what you're referring to is that such a connection negates the ME-66's balanced connection feature. This is true, but it may not be much of an issue depending on your situation. The basic goal of a balanced connection (as expressed in an XLR connection) is to reduce cable transmission noise by sending simultaneous dual audio signals 90 degrees out of phase with each other. Long cables can act like antennas and pick up electromagnetic hum. Sending out-of-phase audio enables such noise to be greatly reduced through electronic cancellation. But it only works if the mic is connected to a balanced XLR port.

But for short cable runs, say 20-25 feet, and/or runs far from electromagnetically-noisy devices (flourescent ballasts, tv's, et.al.) this shouldn't present much of an issue.

Good luck!

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old February 14th, 2003, 05:51 AM   #5
Wrangler

Actually, the two audio leads in balanced lines are 180 degrees out of phase, which provides the nosie cancellation benefit.

The ME66/K6 combo has a rather high output signal, so you may find that you want to use the MIC ATT setting (from the menu if using Audio 1 inut). Ultimately it will depend on the sound level the mic sees.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 06:14 AM   #6
New Boot

Don,
Thanks for the info...as for the mini side of my soon to be purchased XLR to Mini cord will I need the stereo or mono mini? Now being that I will plug the mini jack into the cameras mini jack side can I just simply switch the Input Select to Mic ATT from the side of the camera or must I go through the Menu? I know this is major basic stuff but I fall short with commen sense when the weekend is near:)

"If I were only 3 more me's, man I would be flyin"
Old February 14th, 2003, 12:09 PM   #7

Thanks for the correction, Don.

Alex, a mono mini plug will work fine, since you are only bringing in a single channel of audio in.

Old February 14th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #8
Wrangler

A mono mini will record the sound on the left channel. The right channel will be silent. But that is OK. You can corrct in post with you NLE if needed.

Probably best to avoid the temptation to use an XLR-to-stereo phone connector, they often result in having the left and right channel contain the same sound out of phase by 180. If simply dumped to a VHS tape, the mono track will be nearly silent..
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 02:22 PM   #9
New Boot

THANKS

Ken, Don
thanks for the info...I ended up using my Senn. plug on trans. worked like a charm. My girlfriend played a newscaster at the anti -war rally where we pulled many interesting interviews.

Wow was I impressed with the quility of the ME66/K6/ew100 wireless package.

A comfort to know this site is here!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog