XL1 and XL2 Lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 10th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #1
New Boot

XL1 and XL2 Lenses

Can the lense be interchanged between my canon XL1s and a canon XL2 body
Charles Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #2
Trustee

Yes, no problem - the XL1, XL1s and XL2 (and H1) have the same bayonet mount and all lenses are interchangeable.

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article04.php
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

help

having said that

i currently own an XL1 im looking to upgrade to an XL2

could it be in my best interest to buy just a new body... and keep the 16X lens

or is the new XL2 lens worth upgrading to as well
Mekhael Trepanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Look at it this way, if you keep the 16x lens then you have a backup lens in case anything happens to the 20x. I have the 16x manual lens for my xl1 but I kept the 16x stock lens as a backup. Better to have it and not need it then to not have it and need it.

Mark
Shark Video Productions
Mark Bournes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekhael Trepanier
having said that i currently own an XL1 im looking to upgrade to an XL2 could it be in my best interest to buy just a new body... and keep the 16X lens or is the new XL2 lens worth upgrading to as well
Get the 20X lens. It has flourite coating on the elements, does focus and zoom presets, 2 ND filters, and a tad better OIS. You'll like the reach of the lens too.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #6
Wrangler

Re: XL1 and XL2 Lenses

FWIW: The XL1 CVF was a 0.7" color LDC with a back lit panel, ~180K pizels
The XL1 CVF is not separately fused.
The XL2 CVF is listed as a 2" TFT, ~200K pixels, better color & faster, but still back lit.
Given that the back lighting dominates the power consumption, the XL2 CVF at nearly 3x the diagonal size may well use several times more power than the XL1 CVF.

The XL1 standard 16x zoom lens was rated at 100 lines/mm center, 64 lines/mm at the edge
Its image sensor was listed as three 1/3", CCDs, 250K effective pixels using pixel shift technology.
The XL1S shipped with an improved 16x lens, the II version)
The XL2 used three 1/3" CCDs with pixel shift, ~350K effective pixels for 4x3 and ~460K pixels for 16x9

So it is likely the XL1S or XL2 lens would give a somewhat better image, but whether or not it is worth paying significant money for in this age of HD is something you need to decide for yourself given that the products are no longer supported.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog