exposure/heavily backlit subjects on xl1s.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 16th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #1
Major Player

exposure/heavily backlit subjects on xl1s..

hi,
i have a bit of a newbie question here. What do people recommend I do when filming for example someone standing infront of a large double window with a lot of light getting through. At the moment unless I zoom tight on the persons face and try to block out the light, they are almost in silouette. Is it something to do with the AE Shift? What general settings do other people use for instances like this?
many thanks
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #2
Wrangler

1. Avoid backlighting when you can, unless of course, it is the effect you are seeking.

2. Use fill light to bring out the details in he back lit subjects.

2. Increase exposure until the image details of interest come through to a satisfactory degree.
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:37 AM   #3
Trustee

1) Fill with a bounce card to bring the light levels up to match the background. a 4x8' piece of foamcore spray painted silver (or wrapped in tinfoil) will work wonders for you. my silver bounce ended up being the most heavily used piece of lighting kit this last weekend on a shoot.

2) Blow the background out and expose for you subject.

3 )move to the side so the window ends up as a side light off camera, this will end up acting as a key light for you.
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #4
Major Player

[QUOTE=Cole McDonald]
2) Blow the background out and expose for you subject.

what exactly do you mean by this?
as it is a wedding we dont normally take our lighting kit with us for things like the ceremony and speeches.. and do not carry a reflector card. i thought there would be something you can do with the camera. someone has suggested the exposure so i'll certainly play around with that
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #5
Trustee

just raise the exposure (manual exposure/exposure lock) so the subject is correctly exposed and ignore the background, it'll bleed a little around the edges of your subject, but it'll be better than having the subject completely silhouetted.

You could also slap a Polarizer to help control a bit of the edge hazing on your subject...I'd plan on trying to get to the side a bit and see if there's somethig you could frame in the background that is darker. The goal is generally to treat the outside and the subject as separate lighting entities and try to find a way to get them to balance either by bringing up the subject or hiding the bright bits and using them as lighting.

Given time and access, you could put a black silk affixed to the outside of the sindow behind them to bring the outside light levels down artificially ;)
Old June 17th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #6
Major Player

this is excellent, thanks a lot for your help.
David J. Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog