DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   help importing 16bit audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/69692-help-importing-16bit-audio.html)

Jon Pavli June 16th, 2006 04:09 PM

help importing 16bit audio

I am really struggling with the procedure of importing audio from the XL1. I have recorded audio on both channels using two micrphones. I guess what I am confused about is the settings I need to change within the camera to import the left channel separately from the right and then the right from the left.

I have read the manual and the message board, but I think I need someone to hit me upside the head with basic and simple instructions. I am normally not this dense with things, but I am really struggling. I don't know if I am making it harder than it needs to be...but everytime I import the audio into Premiere, I don't notice a difference in quality. However, I have done some tests by recording the audio separately by itself (meaning one source at a time) on one channel. Then recording the audio again, by itself and on the other channel. That seems to work, but I want to record two audio sources at the same time and then be able to import them separately.

I hope all this make sense. And I would be extremely grateful for any help.

Cheers, Jon

Jon Pavli June 16th, 2006 05:07 PM

I forgot to mention that I am using a firewire connection between the camera and the computer.

Also using Premiere Pro and Scenalyzer. If you need anymore information, let me know.

Cheers, Jon

Don Palomaki June 17th, 2006 05:10 AM

I'm not a Scanalizer user, but I understand that it captures audio to a stereo WAV file.

If this is the case, you should be able to use any reasonable audio editing program to separate the stereo .WAV file into two mono .WAV files (one for each channel).

Alternatively (and perhaps a bit more complicated), you should be able to import the audio into Premiere, select Mono 16-bit audio mode, mute the left or right channel in Premiere, and export the audio only to a .WAV file from Premiere.

Dan Keaton June 17th, 2006 11:34 AM

I am trying to read between the lines.

When you capture, using normal means such as common Non-Linear Editors (NLE's), you will automatically capture two channels (Left and Right). These will be together in one package.

In your NLE, you can then pan the sound left or right or leave it centered.

If you need a separate track for the left channel, or the right channel, you will need to pan hard to one side, then render the track (which is in stereo) to a separate track.

Jon Pavli June 17th, 2006 01:44 PM

Thank you both for your insight.

I guess one of the things I didn't realize is that when I import the video, the audio is one one track with a left and right. Now my question is how to separate the left from the right or vise versa? Again I am using Premiere Pro. I would think that it is a matter of a toggle button that controls the left or right, correct? But where?

I think I am headed down a clearer path. I will try it out and see what I can figure out.

Cheers to you both!

Jon

Dan Keaton June 18th, 2006 07:52 AM

Dear Jon,

I have not used Premier Pro nor have I read the manual.

However, there must be a pan control for the audio. Try searching the manual for "pan". You may also find a control for "Left Only" or "Right Only".

After panning all the way (in our lingo, "Pan Hard" right or left), then render to a new track and then you will have just that channel on the new track.

Alternatively, just duplicate the track, then pan hard to the right on one and pan hard to the left on the other.

Jon Pavli June 18th, 2006 05:30 PM

Thanks for the tips. I think I have it figured out with the help from you guys. I played around and found the "pan" left and right controls for the audio. Totally makes sense now. Thanks for taking the time to sort out this issue for me!!

What I am still a little confused about is the "output" functions on the XL1 camera. How do the following functions, L/R, L/L, R/R, L + R/R, work and when would I used them? I think this is what I was getting into trouble with. I was thinking that if I want just the audio from the left channel, I would use L/L. But I don't think that is the case anymore, so I am still a little unsure what is going on.

Cheers, Jon

Don Palomaki June 19th, 2006 04:17 AM

The firewire output is the full signal recorded on tape as a digital stream. It includes the video and ALL audio channels all the time. (No camcorder selection to be made here)

The L/R. L/L, etc. refer to the content of the analog audio outputs. and might be used if dubbing to an analog input on a recorder, or if for some reason you want to do analog capture from the camcorder and want an audio output other than standard Left and Right.

Note in some cases you may have a tape that has suficient errors that it will not capture satisfactorily via firewire, but appears to play OK from the analog outputs (thanks to build in error correction). That might be a case where analog capture is of use.

Jon Pavli June 19th, 2006 09:27 AM

Don,

Thanks so much for the clarification. I think I totally understand what is going on from the original questions I asked. It does seem that I was way off base with my though process in the beginning of this discussion. Both you and Dan have set me in motion down the right path and now I can get into more trouble with more questions.

Thank you again.

Cheers, Jon