XL1 and Voltage in mic-output at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 17th, 2003, 09:08 AM   #1
Tourist

XL1 and Voltage in mic-output

Hi all,
I wonder if anyone can tell me hov much voltage it is in the DC-output that goes to the mic? I hope its standard 48V, but I dont know and I dont have the equipement to messure it.
/Errol
Errol Tanriverdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 06:41 PM   #2
Wrangler

The small DC power jack by the XL1 mic jack is 5 volts with a rather limited current capacity. Not suitable for phantom powering a mic, it is intended to power the Canon mics. Also the ground return for the DC from the jack is through the mic ground. Intended that way to prevent short circuits if someone stick in a pin, small nail, etc..
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

So the small power jack is for output correct, 5Volts. So can I plug a standard mono mini plug with a mono mike attached into the cannon jack and not worry about the small power jack?

Thanks,

Dan O'Bannon
Dan O'Bannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 05:39 AM   #4
Wrangler

Yes. It will work as long as the mic is self-powered (i.e., does not require pahntom power of bias from the recorder).

Be aware tha plugging in a mono mic will result in sound on the left channel and a silent right channel. However, if the mic connector is a stereo mini-phone plug with balanced output (as from some wireless mic receivers), the sound will be on left and right channels, and the channels will be 180 out of phase.
Old February 20th, 2003, 10:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Don.

Could you briefly explain what 180 out of phase means, dosen't sound like a good thing.

Thanks again, Dan O'Bannon
Old February 20th, 2003, 11:44 AM   #6
Wrangler

Means that the sound in the left channel is equal in magnitude but opposite in sign to the sound in the right channel.

If added together (as when recording to the mono (linear) track on a VHS tape, you end up with with a net result of no or very low level sound on the mono track. If played through a stero system, the audio may not have a properly centered, stable stereo image.
Old February 20th, 2003, 03:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Don, would it be considered "stereo" if I used a mono shotgun mike for the right channel and a seperate mono shotgun mike for the left channel using the ma100?

I do like the feal of the canon onboard stero mike but it just dosen't give a clean sound.

Thanks for your time, Dan O'Bannon
Old February 20th, 2003, 06:04 PM   #8
Wrangler

Depnds on how the mics are positioned relative to the sound field you are recording, and the 'stereo' effect you are trying to achieve.

FWIW: I use a pair of wireless mics through a MA-100 to record band performances in stereo.

There are a numbr of options for stereo recording with a pair of mono mics. The Shure website has some information on this. Note that shotgun mics provide a very narrow acceptance pattern, so they may not be a good choice for many situations.
Old February 20th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Don you've been very helpful.

One more thing if you don't mind, what would be a good mike choice for recording bands live, say in a coffee shop situation? Or maybe you could direct me to a website that gives mike choices for different situations. I will check the shure website.

Thanks, Dan O'Bannon
Old February 21st, 2003, 06:00 AM   #10
Wrangler

Best mic depends on details of the setup, the band, number of performers, instruments, and how much control you the over mic placement, if you have a mixer, ertc.

If they are using a sound board, best sound maybe to get a feed from the sound board. At least yo get best sound interms of the mixer operators taste.

If you can only use one mic on a stand, consider a single point stereo mic such as the AT-825 or AT-822. Ther are other single popoint stereo mics at similar price points as well ans higher and lower prices.

If a very loud band, consider using something like the SM58 or Beta58A. They are rugged, not prone to overload from high sound levels, and the cardoid pattern will provide rejection to the rear to tone down audience noise..
Old February 21st, 2003, 11:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the good advice Don, I appreciate it.

Dan O'Bannon
Dan O'Bannon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog