To MIC or not to MIC....that is the question! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 17th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Which MIC?????

Anyone got any ideas about a mic to suit my needs (and budget). I wish I could afford the best I can, but alas like some of us we have no extrenal funding or other means of cash.

So I'm looking for a mic that would be used outside mostly, recording often multi dialogues, such as film or movie type. Sometimes may not have some on operation mic to move between speakers, so it may be camera mounted most of time. Some times locations may not be best ideal conditions, such as possible traffic at times.

So Im looking for a good mic to suit my needs. I have seen specs for Audio Technica AT835 (seems cheapest), Beyer MCE86s and the Sennheiser K6 with ME66 module. I have used and love sennheiser headphones and even have an MKE300 which works great, but the other mics, especially AT835 are cheaper. I know you get what you pay for most times. But just want to know if anyone has experiences with these mics and if the AT835 would be good enough or would the Sennheiser win on all accounts???

I read a comparison of some mics on website: http://www.lafcpug.org/review_shotgun_mic.html but sometimes better to have more than one opinion.

Cheers!!!
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 07:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you do a search of these posts I think you'll find that people are pretty much universally sold on the ME66. I have it myself and really like it. I should say however, your boom operator will need a lot of skill because this mike is very directional. I would avoid at all costs putting the mike on the camera because you can get a lot of background noise from things like airconditioners that may be behind the talent. You want to dangle it just in front of the actor's faces, pointed downward. Movie makers seem to take boom operators for granted and its a big mistake. In a lot of ways the boom operator is the single most important person on your crew.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 03:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Anyone out there uses or has used a Audio Technica AT835 mic???

I just would like to know what people think of it. I fancy the K6 & ME66 but money is tight. So this mic is a bit cheaper....

You comments please!

Thanks!
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have an AzdenSGM-2X haven't used it much but have run some tests and it seems to work well but I wish I'd have spent a couple hundred more and got the ME66 I've heard good things about it. You want that sound as sweet as possible!

Dan O'Bannon
Dan O'Bannon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog