DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Chroma Shooting for XL1s! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/7005-chroma-shooting-xl1s.html)

Amr Toukhy February 17th, 2003 03:49 PM

Chroma Shooting for XL1s!

Any sucsses story regarding this topic :)
Any links for postings on-line,

Thanks again and agian :)
Amr

Jeff Donald February 17th, 2003 09:44 PM

What do you mean by Chroma Shooting? Tips for shooting in Color vs. Black and White?

Jon Eriksson February 18th, 2003 04:30 AM

I would assume he means shooting for a chroma key. The simple answer is that it has got very little to do with the camera you're using. You need to light the background perfectly and have enough space in the room/studio to be able to move your subject away from the background. If they're too cloose you'll get spill on the hair/shoulders which will make it very noicy once the key is put in. The background must be evenly lit and have a good colour saturation - if you fail with lighting you will have a nightmare in post.

You also need a decent post tool to be able to get a good key.

I am sure there has been topics about this issue before, so use the search tool to find more.

Regards
Jon

Amr Toukhy February 18th, 2003 05:24 AM

Thanks Guys,

Now i totally understand, what you mean, the KEY is the lighting of the Blue-Box room, ot in the XL1s.

Thanks,
Amr

Mike Doyle February 27th, 2003 10:08 AM

Shooting for keying

Earlier responses are exactly right. Here are some details that helped me immensely. Lighting of the background must be as even as possible and should be at the same level as the light hitting your subject. Sufficient separation between the subject and background is critical. If light reflecting from the background illuminates the subject you will have a hard time eliminating the fringe of color around the subject. Adding a slight backlight or rim light to your lighting of the subject will also help. Be patient. The more time you take setting up the less time you'll take creating the key in post.

Rick Spilman February 27th, 2003 10:26 AM

One other often over looked element in chromakeying is the editor you use.

DV25 is a 4:1:1 color space which makes a good key tough. Several NLEs bump up the color space to 4:2:2 for color correction and keying. I have a Canopus RexRT which interpolates up to 4:2:2 and I understand several of the Matrox cards do the same. It can make a huge difference.

Robert Poulton February 27th, 2003 12:19 PM

Goto www.dvgarage.com
They have, which I own, a package called composite toolkit. While it might not be right for you. That is if you dont own After Effects. It still provides needed information about dealing with greenscreen material such as: garbage matte, greenscreen removal and spill removal. The plug-in that comes with the package is called DVmatte. Easy to use and pulls great mattes the first time.

Rob:D