Chroma Shooting for XL1s! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 17th, 2003, 03:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Chroma Shooting for XL1s!

Any sucsses story regarding this topic :)
Any links for postings on-line,

Thanks again and agian :)
Amr
Amr Toukhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #2
Warden

What do you mean by Chroma Shooting? Tips for shooting in Color vs. Black and White?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 04:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I would assume he means shooting for a chroma key. The simple answer is that it has got very little to do with the camera you're using. You need to light the background perfectly and have enough space in the room/studio to be able to move your subject away from the background. If they're too cloose you'll get spill on the hair/shoulders which will make it very noicy once the key is put in. The background must be evenly lit and have a good colour saturation - if you fail with lighting you will have a nightmare in post.

You also need a decent post tool to be able to get a good key.

I am sure there has been topics about this issue before, so use the search tool to find more.

Regards
Jon
Old February 18th, 2003, 05:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys,

Now i totally understand, what you mean, the KEY is the lighting of the Blue-Box room, ot in the XL1s.

Thanks,
Amr
Amr Toukhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Shooting for keying

Earlier responses are exactly right. Here are some details that helped me immensely. Lighting of the background must be as even as possible and should be at the same level as the light hitting your subject. Sufficient separation between the subject and background is critical. If light reflecting from the background illuminates the subject you will have a hard time eliminating the fringe of color around the subject. Adding a slight backlight or rim light to your lighting of the subject will also help. Be patient. The more time you take setting up the less time you'll take creating the key in post.
Mike Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #6
Major Player

One other often over looked element in chromakeying is the editor you use.

DV25 is a 4:1:1 color space which makes a good key tough. Several NLEs bump up the color space to 4:2:2 for color correction and keying. I have a Canopus RexRT which interpolates up to 4:2:2 and I understand several of the Matrox cards do the same. It can make a huge difference.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 12:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Goto www.dvgarage.com
They have, which I own, a package called composite toolkit. While it might not be right for you. That is if you dont own After Effects. It still provides needed information about dealing with greenscreen material such as: garbage matte, greenscreen removal and spill removal. The plug-in that comes with the package is called DVmatte. Easy to use and pulls great mattes the first time.

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog