DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   I am stumped on this one, Help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/7017-i-am-stumped-one-help.html)

Tony Brave February 17th, 2003 10:18 PM

I am stumped on this one, Help!

Well here goes. We did a shoot where the XL-1s had a cable connected to the line out of the audio. It went to a sony DSR-45 deck line in. The Sony deck had a video line in connection from a document camera. We sent the audio just so we would be able to have something to reference audio by.

When I did a capture in FCP 3 the audio levels looked fine as I looked at the VUs. When I played back the clip in the timeline the audio was really low and sounded muffled. The settings for audio in FCP are 48k (never changed them). On the same shoot I shoot with a Panasonic DV-100 and it captured fine and played back fine in the timeline. What happened? If something is connect to the line out does it resample it or something?....

Now comes the even stranger part. I opened iMove3 and did a capture and put it in the timeline and it played back fine.

It wasn't just one tape it was two of them that this acccured with. Oh yes and also the deck's audio was funky also.

Stumped!

Ken Tanaka February 17th, 2003 10:56 PM

Isn't this the same question/problem you posted here?

Tony Brave February 17th, 2003 11:09 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Isn't this the same question/problem you posted here? -->>>

No I don't believe I posted it in this discussion group "Watchdog) I may have posted in another one but have not received any responses.

Jeff Donald February 17th, 2003 11:56 PM

Sorry to sound obtuse, but I'm not really following or understanding what your doing.

The DSR-45 can capture either 4 channel/12 bit audio or 2 channel/16 bit audio. What is the deck set to capture (12 bit or 16 bit)?

FCP can capture either 12 or 16 bit also. In preferences what is it set to?

If you play the tape back in the XL1s what does it indicate for audio, 12 or 16 bit? What does it indicate for tape speed SP or LP? If you recorded in LP that is probably your problem.

If you capture directly from the XL1s does the audio play from the timeline? If it captures directly from the camera to FCP fine the problem is in the deck.

I'm suspecting that you have an audio mismatch at some point in the chain.

Tony Brave February 21st, 2003 09:28 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Sorry to sound obtuse, but I'm not really following or understanding what your doing.

The DSR-45 can capture either 4 channel/12 bit audio or 2 channel/16 bit audio. What is the deck set to capture (12 bit or 16 bit)?

It is set at 16.

FCP can capture either 12 or 16 bit also. In preferences what is it set to?

In FCP where is the setting you speak of? I looked in Audio/video setting and Prefs?

If you play the tape back in the XL1s what does it indicate for audio, 12 or 16 bit? What does it indicate for tape speed SP or LP? If you recorded in LP that is probably your problem.

16-sp

If you capture directly from the XL1s does the audio play from the timeline? If it captures directly from the camera to FCP fine the problem is in the deck.

It does the same thing. low audio muffered.

I'm suspecting that you have an audio mismatch at some point in the chain. -->>>

thanks for responding...

Nathan Gifford February 21st, 2003 02:19 PM

Where are you listening to audio from (camera, playback from PC to camera, etc). If you are listening to the audio from the camera, check the monitor button and make sure you are listening to audio 1 and not mix.

Jeff Donald February 21st, 2003 03:43 PM

Tony,

The fact that iMovie 3 captures the audio fine and FCP doesn't is usually caused by 2 things. either recording at the LP speed and having the capture settings mismatched to the recorded audio.

To change capture settings: Final Cut Pro>Audio/Video Settings>Capture Presets>Double click item with Check mark in left column--Capture Preset editor opens--Match Audio settings to capture footage with QuickTime Audio Settings (48.000kHz, 16 bit etc.). You can check existing settings with Sequence>Settings. You can also check your capture by checking the Capture Settings in Log and Capture.

I'm not sure how your monitoring your audio playback. You can check your audio playback quality by going to Final Cut Pro>Preferences> General> Audio Playback Quality -- set to high. This shouldn't effect your capture, but could effect the monitoring of the audio.