To Buy or Not to Buy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 5th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #1
Tourist

To Buy or Not to Buy

I am a little new to Digital and had a big question. I just purchased a XL-1s and I know using it as a deck to import to a NLE (My laptop through firewire) wears on the camera. So my question is should I buy a cheap miniDV camera with Firewire to use as a deck , and if so does it matter which one. I would love to buy a real player but they are a little out of my price range right know. Any suggestions thank you.
Ed Behen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Ed, and Welcome!

It depends on how much footage you plan on running through. I've had two XL1ss for quite a few years now and always used them for capture. Haven't had to replace the heads yet, although, my cameras see only moderate use.

As for a cheap camcorder for use as a deck, it doesn't matter which brand you buy. :)
Old July 6th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I would advice you to buy a cheap mini dv camcorder, as Lorinda said, it doesn't matter which brand.

Because it's not only better for your heads, it's also much handyer, in some situations you can shoot AND capture at the same time, because you have 2 camera's.
And you, in that way, also have a reserve camera, even if it can't come close to an XL1s in image quality, it may be handy in a emergency situation.

Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #4
Tourist

I have one more question. As I was reading the tech specs on the xl1 it said you need a special 4pin IEEE connector. Where as the Xl2's tech specs said it is a standard 4pin IEEE. Is their really a special cable to connect the XL1. Ed
Ed Behen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I use a normal Firewire, works perfect, so I don't know what they mean with that...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog