DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   TASCAM DA-30 vs DA-30 MK-II (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/7096-tascam-da-30-vs-da-30-mk-ii.html)

Dan Keaton February 21st, 2003 09:18 AM

TASCAM DA-30 vs DA-30 MK-II

I am considering the purchase of one of these units.

Does anyone know the difference, or is willing to recommend one over the other?

I am also considering the DA-P1 portable unit, which is better suited for my use, but is significantly more money.

I intend to record live events, taking a feed from a good mixer, so I either a portable or non-portable unit will work.

I am currently using the DA-P1 (borrowed from a friend) and it is very nice.

I will also consider other units that members may recommend.

Jeff Donald February 22nd, 2003 07:39 AM

Dan,

Can you give a little more information on your intended use or application?

Dan Keaton February 22nd, 2003 10:09 AM

Jeff,

Thank you for your assistance. I value your opinion.

I wish to be able to record live events, such as an Elvis tribute artist that I recorded last night. I also want to be able to record interviews, etc., and record sounds of Drag Boat Racing.

My goal is to be flexible and to obtain high quality sound. I wish to use two channels (16-bit, 48K samples per second) on the XL1s for ambient sound, or use with two Sennheiser Ew112p wireless microphones.

I will use the DAT, either wired or portable, for other sound, usually from the house mixer, or my Mackie 1202VLZ mixer.

I really like the TASCAM DA-P1 which I used last night. This unit was borrowed from a friend.

The lower cost of used non-portable equipment available on Ebay is also attractive. I wonder if the non-portable equipment has advantages in quality or flexibility, while sacraficing some portability.

Jeff Donald February 22nd, 2003 11:19 AM

I really like the DA-P1 but don't own one. I have rented one at least a dozen times in the last year. I find the audio quality to be superb and the unit seems fairly rugged. I don't own one because I've had a hard time selling the service. Just this week I was hired to do two interviews in Tampa. I offered a DAT/MD recording service and they opted for the less expensive mini DV service. If you really don't need the portability, the other units may be a viable alternative for you. If I had one I would want it to be portable for my personal work (nature documentary).

Dan Keaton February 22nd, 2003 11:54 AM

Jeff,

Thank you.

I agree with your advice. The portability is really nice, and the sound and features of the unit appear supurb.

If I find a great deal on a studio DAT, I may purchase one.

My friend says I can borrow his DA-P1 on a long term basis. In return, I loan him equipent and assist him in his projects.

After I get more experience, I may buy his or another DA-P1.

Thanks for all of your help.