audio for whitewater shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 23rd, 2003, 06:03 PM   #1
Craig Lindvahl

audio for whitewater shoot

I'll be shooting some stuff during a white water trip on the Snake River. It's a 2-3 hour trip that we'll make twice on the same day. It's part of a documentary focusing on a disabled outdoorsman. Here's my question:

We'll be in a separate boat for the trip, and will be using an me66 from that boat. I'd like to hook up our subject, though. We use a shure UM1 lapel mic. If we rig it up inside his life jacket, how do we make sure it's water tight?

Can we just wrap the transmitter in a plastic bag? should we do something special for the mic? How about a plastic wrap cover for it? Would that muffle the sound?

Thanks for any advice you have.

Craig Lindvahl
Old February 27th, 2003, 09:52 PM   #2
Warden

I've seen boats on the Snake (rafts, too) and I think it would be just about impossible to mic a participant and keep your gear dry. Have you ever been on big water? I doubt you could get much any way. The sound levels from the water (even small class II and class III water would over power almost any mic. The sound reflects off the canyon walls and is extremely load.

You might have to sacrifice some cheap lavs. I guess I would try wrapping the mic in plastic, but it certainly will muffle the sound level.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 06:11 AM   #3
Wrangler

Haven't some folks placed mics in (unlubricated) condoms to protect from water?
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 06:31 AM   #4
Warden

I think now that you mentioned it, I have heard of that. After I posted last night I watched a couple of promotional videos I have from river rafting guide companies. The sound during the river scenes is all ambient sound. All the participant comments are recorded either after the trip or during calm water.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 07:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Forget about the mike. How are you going to keep your camera dry?

I have shot whitewater from shore and using a helmet cam and clip on mike from a kayak and a raft. A condom might be worth a try. I have tried wrapping the mike in plastic and gotten good results for about half the run, until the water becomes pretty heavy and the mike shuts off or gets very "crackily".

Voice overs and selective dubbing, if possible sound like a good idea to lay down over the ambient roar of the water.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog