newbie question: best set up for XL 1S filming motorsports at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 18th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #1
New Boot

newbie question: best set up for XL 1S filming motorsports

Hi there newbie to both forum and 1 month owner of my beloved XL 1S. I mainly film dirt bike racing such as MX as well as Dirt Track and speedway. I film using my Manfrotto tripod setup with 501 head or sometimes off the shoulder particuarly during circuit track racing which is usually on tracks no bigger than 300 meters long. So far i have only used auto function with auto zoom etc. I was wondering thank you would anyone have any experience filming high speed motorsports or motorcycle events and can reccomend any particuarly settings etc such as shutter speeds, using the zoom lense etc on either manual or auto??. I sometimes have to use the zoom in and out to usually follow the bikes coming into the turn and then zoom coming out so far i have only used this on auto function. Anyway i have just received the 180 page manual in the mail to troll thru but if anyone would be kind enough with any suggestions for setups for this particular type of filming any advice would be kindly appreciated thank you.
Nic Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #2
Major Player

You may want to try not zooming and move a little closer to the action.Depends on the end use of the video as to what effect you want.But have a look at some broadcast shows of this type of event and mimic some of their camera moves.If your concentrating on 1 bike you can try normal shutter and panning with the motion.However another effect would be to use a higher shutter speed and let the bike pass thru the frame.This may have a stroby effect but may look cool to you.
You can use manual focus and exposure, prefocus to where the bike(s) will be and let them roll thru.You'll need to rest exposure if these are night races and you change the frame to a dark corner of the track,if you know what I mean.
Best thing is to experiment but watch other footage and try to mimic it until your really comfortable with the camera then try some of your own technics.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #3
New Boot

Many thanks to you Jack appreciate your advice mate no worries. As well as experiement with different settings i think i really need to pull my finger out and read the manual as well which may help somewhat to better understand the complete functions of this marvellous camera.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smith
You may want to try not zooming and move a little closer to the action.Depends on the end use of the video as to what effect you want.But have a look at some broadcast shows of this type of event and mimic some of their camera moves.If your concentrating on 1 bike you can try normal shutter and panning with the motion.However another effect would be to use a higher shutter speed and let the bike pass thru the frame.This may have a stroby effect but may look cool to you.
You can use manual focus and exposure, prefocus to where the bike(s) will be and let them roll thru.You'll need to rest exposure if these are night races and you change the frame to a dark corner of the track,if you know what I mean.
Best thing is to experiment but watch other footage and try to mimic it until your really comfortable with the camera then try some of your own technics.
Nic Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:52 PM   #4
New Boot

In Motorsports I'm also a big fan of the High-Shutterspeed-Strobe-Effect. :)
Chris Wren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog