My new favorite XL1 accessory - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 11th, 2002, 10:25 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Well, I talked to the guys at NebTek and they were very helpful. I ended up getting the NEB 70 LI. I ended up paying about $80 more than B&H Photo for the monitor, but the advantage of using my Canon batteries and the fact that the Panasonic 7" is such an amazing LCD monitor sealed the deal.

I'll let you guys know how it works for 16:9 shooting.

Thanks for all your help.
J. Cody Lucido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2002, 10:50 PM   #32
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Good, practical choice. I'm sure you'll be happy with the Panasonic/Nebtek monitor.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2002, 08:49 AM   #33
Regular Crew

For what it's worth, about a year ago the Panasonic folks let me try out the Panasonic TC-7WMS1 LCD monitor on my XL1. I tried it in both standard mode and widescreen 16x9. It worked great! Excellent for critical focus. I felt I couldn't afford it at the time. I've been able to get by with the color LCD viewfinder on the XL1, however, as soon as I get into some really intense, demanding video projects I'll probably spring for the TC-7WMS1. If there is a better LCD monitor out there for the money please let me know.
Old June 12th, 2002, 10:51 AM   #34
Wrangler

It may be worth pointing out that the various units Nebtek sells as well as the Panasonic were developed for the burgeoning mobile video market, meaning displays that are meant to be mounted in cars and minivans and the like so your kids can watch "Shrek" every time you drive to Grandma's. The fortunate thing about this is that because of the particular demands of automotive use (high-intensity displays are needed to overcome sunlight) and the mass-production numbers involved, these units have become much cheaper and smaller than they used to be. It's worth a trip to your local high end car stereo store to see what they might have in the showroom or can order for you, the prices are astoundingly low. As soon as something is repackaged for the film or broadcast market the prices shoot up.

Several of the displays Nebtek is repping are made by Accele for the automotive market (they glue their name over the Accele logo). Try doing an online search under that name and comparing the units. Other more familiar names like Clarion and Alpine are also putting their name on similar displays. It is possible to get a very bright, sharp, slim 5" LCD monitor for between $250-400. The drawback is that often they have oddball jacks and connectors, and you will have to make up something that connects to your camera & power supply as previously mentioned.

I've been involved with Nebtek on their displays for a couple of years, they are good folks and sell a nice product. Whether the convenience/reliability of a converted unit is worth the price is a personal choice.

The other thing worth mentioning is that Hoodman makes a selection of flexible monitor hoods for all sizes including this range of displays. They velcro on and are real lifesavers in sunlight. Even though many of the these displays can show some sort of picture in sunlight, the hood will help restore some of the contrast and color that is lost under these conditions. Try hoodmanusa.com.
Old June 12th, 2002, 11:17 AM   #35

Very interesting background, Charles.

Re: Hoodman, indeed, they also make the soft case that Panasonic sells as the carrying case for this unit.

Also, regarding battery power options, a "battery power framework" kit is available for the Panasonic monitor which adapts it for use with the Anton Bauer battery system.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old June 13th, 2002, 01:19 PM   #36
dvcamguy

Anyone here ever hear of a clam shell monitor that can play back dv footage?

If so, I'd like to know where to get one from and a price range.

thanks
Old June 13th, 2002, 02:06 PM   #37

By definition, a monitor does not "play back" anything. Are you thinking of the Sony "Watchman" dv deck? It's a portable deck that features a small lcd screen.

Old June 13th, 2002, 02:52 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Well I got my monitor. It is beautiful. Such clarity.

I only had one problem. The standard cable that comes with it is about 7" too short to hook into my XL1s. I had to get a BNC to RCA converter and then a female to male RCA to extend it. The shortest I could find was 3'. This makes for an octopus on the side of my camera. I temporarily bound it with a twist tie.

I called NebTek and talked to them about it, and they offered to extend the video plug and put on an RCA for me. This will work great. When I have the time I will send it back in to them.

I suggested to them to offer a Canon XL1/XL1s package that includes this. They are considering this.

****In the meantime, if you are ordering for you XL1/XL1s, ask them to extend this for you. This will save you lots of time and make a nice custom fit for the monitor cabling.

I highly recommend this monitor. It is so crisp, I will no longer suffer the eye strain from trying to focus through the tiny viewfinder. Also it is so nice to see my 16:9 in true aspect.

Hope this helps.
Old June 13th, 2002, 03:30 PM   #39

Glad you're happy with the Panasonic/Nebtek monitor! Yes it sure is a world of difference from the other lcd monitors (although it does bash the budget a bit). I'm certainly delighted with mine (I have the straight Panasonic version).

If you think of it, let us know how long the Nebtek'ed version runs off of the Canon batteries.

Also, in case Nebtek didn't include a case, there's a specially-designed Hoodman soft case available under the product id of TC7-CC.

Happy viewing!

Old June 14th, 2002, 05:29 AM   #40
RED Code Chef

Now that you have the 7" screen what do you think about its
size? Cause I remember someone saying that 7" might be a bit
too large for a cam like the XL1 and that you'd be better of
getting a 5". What is your take on this? Where does this LCD
screen mount?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2002, 10:03 AM   #41

Heck, anything looks goofy hanging off of the XL1...for that matter the XL1 looks goofy! <g> But, naw, the 7" Panasonic monitor is not too large at all and it weighs only a few ounces, no heavier than the Varizoom lcd. Since it has a standard tripod mount hole it can be mounted to a shoe fitting. Note, however, that the fitting included with the TC7-CAM kit is not designed to mount to the shoe. You'll probably have to visit a local photoshop to get the right gizmo.

Old June 14th, 2002, 10:40 AM   #42
Regular Crew

It is big, but beautiful. It is light weight. I got the hot shoe mount ($30) and it works great. It mounts on top of my XL1s.

I will be getting practical experience with it today, as I have an important scene to shoot in an alley.

I really had to have the 16:9, so the 7" was my only choice. I'll let you know how it works in the trenches. At home, it is a piece of art!
Old June 14th, 2002, 10:41 AM   #43
RED Code Chef

I was thinking about maybe getting that 5" model that they
make for the XL1. Is that one also a good panasonic model?
Or is this one too small?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2002, 11:28 AM   #44

<< Codemand3D: "I will be getting practical experience with it today, as I have an important scene to shoot in an alley." >>

You realize that that remark would seem -extremely- odd to a passer-by unfamiliar with the nature of the subject. ;-)

Old June 14th, 2002, 02:45 PM   #45

One point for interested onlookers, which I don't believe has been made by anyone yet.

The 7" Panasonic monitor (and probably it's Nebtek'ed cousin) shows the full (underscan) frame image just like a professional field monitor. So, if you're an XL1/1s shooter and occasionally curse the standard color lcd viewfinder for cropping the frame so badly this monitor would help you to verify the full contents of your image...while you still have a chance to make corrections <g>.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog