XL1s on board Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 28th, 2003, 08:41 AM   #1
New Boot

XL1s on board Mic

Can any of you experts clarify to following:-

if I unplug the twin mic plug from the XL1s and refit the single sterio jack plug into the socket on the XL1s using an 3m extener cable between the XL1s and the mic, can I still record streio sound without pluging in the second smaller socket into the camcorder?

Terry Pickford
Old February 28th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #2
Wrangler

I believe the answer is yes. The smaller plug supplies power to the mic.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 10:31 AM   #3
New Boot

On Board XL1s Mic

Thanks Nathan for your prompt rely to my enquiry. One more question, I now realise that the smaller 2.5mm jack is the mic power saurce, if I plug in an extended sterio lead, I assume that the mic will only function if I manage to fit an extended cable between the XL1s 2.5mm socket and the mic?

If I am correct and manage to fit a extended powere cable, whow do I identify which terminal of the the 2.5mm jack is the positive terminal?

Regards
Terry
Old February 28th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Terry,
What is your goal? Are you trying to use the XL1s' onboard mic separately from the camera's body? If so, see this recent thread.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #5
New Boot

XL1s on board mic

Hi Ken, I will take a look at the thread you have suggested. I am trying to extend the mic off the camera to about 3m. The problem is trying to locate suitable jack sockets for sterio and power supply. I now understand that it is simple to extend the sterio using a 3.5mm male and female socket, however the problems come with being able to plug in the 2.5mm socket into the XL1s next to the sterio input. Also as I have already indicated on my reply to Nathan, it is vital to establish the correct polarity for the 7.2 volt power supply. I will go check out the thread and see if it answers any of my questions. Thanks for all the interest.
Terry
Old February 28th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Terry,
Well, good luck to you. But I'll offer one last thought. Such heroic efforts are really not justifiable against the quality of the XL1s' onboard mic. It's ok for what it is but that's about it. If you really want a remote stereo mic you can get a good one, such as the Audio-Technica AT822, for relatively modest expenditure.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #7
New Boot

XL1s on board mic

Hi Ken,

I apprecaite your comments regarding my quest. I had no idea I could obtain an alternate system. Regarding the Audio-Technica AT822, can you point me to a web address with details about this system, including cost please.
Terry
Old February 28th, 2003, 11:44 AM   #8
New Boot

AT-822

Hi Ken,

I have managed to locate a web site with the detail. Thanks again for your interest.
Terry
Old February 28th, 2003, 05:28 PM   #9
Wrangler

Tip of the small plug is + 5VDC. Sleeve is nothing at the camcorder. The power ground return is thorugh the audio jack (to reduce the chance of short circuiting the power supply).
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog