DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Mics to capture dialogue? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/7335-mics-capture-dialogue.html)

Michael Chen March 2nd, 2003 06:36 AM

Mics to capture dialogue?

I have searched the thread regarding microphones, and many has suggested the ME66 coz its value for money.

I'd like to know if ME66 is good for capturing dialogue?
I will be using it to film some short films, and would like to send it to international film festivals, and would like to know if its able to produce acceptable sound for this purpose.

Also, how much better is it to capture the dialogue using ME66 compared to the on board mics? 2-3 times better?

Thanks for answering.

Don Palomaki March 2nd, 2003 06:41 AM

Maybe 100 times <g>. No on-camera mic is good for capturing anything but ambient sound. None are good for dialog unless the talent is within a foot ot two of the mic, rarelythe case. Even if the mic is removed form the camera and put on a boom, it has a wide pattern, and may pick up to much stray sound. Being unbalancd it may pick up environmental electrical noise at yoru shoot.

The ME66 is a good choice.

Michael Chen March 2nd, 2003 06:47 AM

Didnt expect a reply to come out this fast. Thanks!
100 times better means ME66 is a must buy for me then.

Now I gotta save up to get the MA-200 as well i guess.

Can anyone tell me how much does the MA-200 costs in USD?
Would like to know the avg price so that I can make some comparisons.

Don Palomaki March 2nd, 2003 03:43 PM

Note that "100 times" is a figure of speach. For some users it may be just as good at meeting their needs in which 100x is an overstatement. All depends on your needs. For critical dialog, where it is important to separate the speaker from sound to the sides and behind the mic the ME66 is a good way to go.

If you are on a budget, also consider the MA100, two inputs, on the order of US$180 or so. The MA200 appears to run about US$380 or so, maybe less. Do a google search and see what turns up at your favorite shops.

Aaron Koolen March 2nd, 2003 04:35 PM

Michael, if you've read around a few board you'll see that the ME66 is pretty much the lowbudget mic of choice for dialogs, recommended by most people. There is an AudioTechnica one AT835B (??) which some people use with good results, but from what I've heard this mic is a bit quiet.

Believe Don when he says about the on camera mic. When I got my ME66 and tested it I almost fell off my chair when I heard the difference. Honestly.

Good luck with your purchase.

Cheers
Aaron

Michael Chen March 2nd, 2003 08:00 PM

Last question,
Does the K6 comes seperately with ME66? I need the K6 in order to power the ME66 rite? Also, how long is the wire supplied with ME66? Do I have to purchase the wire seperately as well?

Roughly around how much will the K6 costs ?
This is gonna increase the money spent , hope that they are not too expensive.

Don Palomaki March 3rd, 2003 04:57 AM

A recent B&H catalog lists the ME66/K6 combination at about US$400. K6 or ME66 alone at about US$210.

Adrian Seah March 4th, 2003 05:40 PM

I use the Audio Technica AT815b (longer version of the 835) and its fantastic... I mean its good enough that I don't see it as being in any way limiting, and it costs less than the ME66.

Adrian

Michael Chen March 4th, 2003 07:54 PM

Yeah I would like to check out the Audio Technica as well but the problem is there don't seem to be any Audio Technica dealer in my country.

Maybe there is but I haven't really heard it.

So if I have to order it from overseas, the costs will add up due to the shipment/taxes etc... Or maybe I could check the Audio technica website to see if there is any dealer over here, wats the website for it?

Don Palomaki March 5th, 2003 04:45 AM

www.audiotechnica.com
Check the sitemap foor a quick overview o what is on the site. There is a worldwide distributor information page on the site.

Michael Chen March 5th, 2003 09:59 AM

Thanks.. I've checked it out.
Not in my country.

But I'll guess I'll stick to ME66 since many of the users has find it good.

Thanks for all the advice given by everyone.

Michael Chen March 17th, 2003 06:40 PM

I got another question.
Since ME66, is a mono microphone, from what I understand, we will still be recording sound on the left and right channels right?

Or am I mistaken?

Adrian Seah March 17th, 2003 07:18 PM

nope... depends on which channel (L or R) you plug the mic into... or example, I have a MA100 and usually I plug my mic into the L channel and during capture into FCP, there will only be sound on the L channel but you can easily duplicate it to the R channel. Dialogue is usually recorded on mono anyway.

Adrian

Michael Chen March 17th, 2003 09:40 PM

I see.
Does that mean the sound will only be coming out from 1 speaker if I do not duplicate it to the other channel?

Erm, actually how do I duplicate it to the other channel? Do I do it in post by copying the existing audio track to another one?

Aaron Koolen March 18th, 2003 01:20 AM

Will also depend on what adapter you use. I use a Sign Video one for my Xm2 and it allows me to switch to "mono" mode so the recorded dialog goes to both channels.

Cheers
Aaron