DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   sending edit video back to XL1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/734-sending-edit-video-back-xl1.html)

Bob Zimmerman January 19th, 2002 07:31 PM

sending edit video back to XL1

Here is what i would like to do. Send the video from my Xl1 to the computer. Edit. Then send back to the Xl1. Then make a copy on VHS. What do I need? The computer I have has a firewire plug. I have windows XP. What is a half way good program to use. Not alot of money left after buying the camera!! I was told that you could send the editted video back to the camera. I don't think with the XP's video edit you can. You can just like e-mail it etc.
Any help you can give me would be great.

Chris Hurd January 19th, 2002 07:57 PM

It's always a good idea to budget the same amount of money on your editing system as you did for your camera. In other words, to do the XL1 justice, you should be editing on a system that costs about $3000 to $5000. I use a Canopus DVRex RT (see www.justedit.com).

If you're on a tight budget, you should consider the Canopus DVRaptor, for about $360 including Adobe Premiere editing software (Premiere costs about that much alone, so this is a really good deal). See http://www.justedit.com/sales/specials.php3#raptor for more info. You'll want to make sure you have a compatible motherboard and video card.

If $360 is beyond your budget, consider holding off until you have the money to spend. I strongly urge you to avoid the cheap $100 video editing programs you'll find at Best Buy, etc. as these cause more trouble than they're worth. You want to edit, not jack with your computer all the time.

Check out Adobe Premiere, Ulead Media Studio Pro, and the less expensive offerings from Canopus, Matrox and Pinnacle (with my personal blessings on Canopus). Hope this helps,

Bob Zimmerman January 19th, 2002 10:21 PM

Thanks Chris. So with one of these programs it allows you to sent it back to the camera. The manuals never tell you too much. So after the edit you put the XL1 in VCR program and record? I'm new to all this but once I get the basic stuff down I'll be ok. Maybe you know of some books or tapes on this.

Mike Butler January 24th, 2002 05:23 PM

Premiere is good--it is still considered a mainstay in the industry, and I definitely agree with Chris to stay away from those el-cheapo programs, they'll just waste your time and make you mad.

Yes you take the finished edit from Premiere and record right back into your XL1 thru Firewire. What is really slick is that you can save time by tapping off the A/V outputs of the XL right into your VHS deck to make a dub at the same time you are creating a digital master. It saves one playback's worth of time. Or what I do is feed that a/v signal into a D/A (distribution amp) right into a stack of VHS decks and have a pile of fresh dubs in the time it takes you to create your digital master (which of course us what you play back when you want to create each successive batch of dupes.)

I keep a stack of 6 VCRs hooked up to my D/A and usually use a Canon Elura as my digital "deck" connected between the Firewire and the d/a, so as to keep my XL1 at the ready for shooting without tearing apart a job in process--but I used to use the XL1 like that.

John Locke January 24th, 2002 07:44 PM

I've heard networks require "black tape" from the finish of the footage all the way to the end of the tape (no snow). How do you manage that when you're dumping to tape (or multiple tapes)?

Mike Butler January 25th, 2002 11:32 AM

John in Seoul, see the other thread '"what is best mini DV tape for ... " where I talk about that. If you are using an XL1, it does not have the ability to record like a VCR so you literally just put it in record with the lens cap on and mic unplugged! GRRRRR! I hate it! That's one reason why i bought a little 1-chip econobox camcorder, just set it to VCR and let it record to the end with nothing plugged into the A/V jacks. I pre-black all my tapes with that (call me anal!) and never have to worry about TC breaks. That's my old Cable Access training coming out.