I need 2 wireless lavaliers asap and need some tips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 3rd, 2003, 09:36 AM   #1
Tourist

I need 2 wireless lavaliers asap and need some tips

I am going overseas next week to shoot a "mockumentary". I'll be using the XL-1 with the MA-100. We're going to be in a number of different areas with a number of different noise variables (crowds-outdoors and indoors, outside walking, etc.).

I need to get 2 wireless lavalier mics - what exactly should I be looking for? What are the NECESSARY components (i.e. lavaliers, receiver, transmitter, etcetera)?

I've been looking at the following...please let me know if this will work...

1. Azden WR22-Pro 2 Channel Receiver ($169)
2. 2 WM-Pro belt packs/mics ($89 x 2)

Is that all I need? Will this receiver hook directly into the MA-100 or will I need some cable? Are there any less-expensive packages that will work better?

Please gimme some guidance asap, anybody! Much appreciated!
Tom Glynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 09:59 AM   #2
Warden

First a couple of questions to help you better. You say you need 2 wireless lavs, but only list 1 receiver, is one mic for backup? What type of quality do you hope to achieve? The quality from these sets would be marginal at best. I understand budget considerations, but you need to understand the limitations of your equipment choices. It may suit your needs, but if your intended use is broadcast, you may be disappointed.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 10:11 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Jeff! I'm clueless when it comes to audio...so I WILL need 2 receivers? I was looking at the Azden mid-range for price considerations - what would you recommend on a modest budget? I may even end up renting, in which case what would you then recommend?

I need somewhat of a lavalier 101 class so I get this right. I need to have 2 guys mic'd with the ability to roam around, and often in large, noisy crowds. I basically just need to know what it is I need (I have the XL-1 & MA-100) - what are my minimum requirements?

Appreciate it Jeff!
Old March 3rd, 2003, 05:22 PM   #4
Wrangler

The Azden WR22-Pro receives signals from two wireless mics simltaneously. Believe the WLT-pro is the matching belt pack transmitter with lav mic. A pair will give you two wireles mics to feed the two channels in the WR22-Pro.

Be sure you can use them where you are going. Different countries have different rules for use of radiio frequencies and transmitters.

The Azdens are modest cost, and can work OK if "professional quality" sound is not critical to your shoot. Keep in mind that they may be subject to interference if there are nearby VHF transmitters on close to the same frequency.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 05:45 PM   #5
Tourist

Thanks Don!

I believe, upon further investigation, that we are going to rent Lectrosonics mics. How would I find out if these mics/frequencies jive in other countries?

Much appreciated Don!
Old March 3rd, 2003, 08:16 PM   #6
Wrangler

Contact someone in the business in the countries you are visiting. Find out what they are using there. You might find something on a web search, but it is not a subject I've researched in any depth. Local rentals mith be the best bet - you are not renting for travel time and what yourent is set to work there.

And some countries may be a bit anal about people shooting video professionally in their land.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #7
Tourist

Great info Don, many thanks!
Old March 5th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #8
New Boot

Azden

What about the more expensive Azdens... Not the 'Pro' series (I believe the 500UDR is the one Im referring to). Are these still prone to nterference? Ive ordered one and am hoping I haven made a mistake.

-J
Jay Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 04:53 AM   #9
Wrangler

Depends on how busy the frequencies used by the mic are where you plan to use the mic. All wireless mics will suffere if there is a trnsmitter nearby that is on or close the the same frequeincy. How near is nearby depends onthe power and frequency separation.

Believe that many of the UHF model offers a choice of a number of frequencies, so you have more options to find a clear channel.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog