The accessory you cannot live without... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 20th, 2002, 10:29 PM   #1

The accessory you cannot live without...

I am putting together my XL1S system and order this week and was wondering what you guys feel has been your best accessory for the camera.

For example - wireless mics, shot-guns, lighting, camera lite, battery system, tripod/tripod head, whatever.

I have questions about all these things and thought I would bouncing it off the list before making a mistake.

I need your help...
Old January 21st, 2002, 12:47 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

From a forthcoming Watchdog article which I've been promising for some time now... the Number One XL1 accessory: a lens controller. I prefer VariZoom (www.varizoom.com) but there's also the Canon ZR-1000 and others. Lens Controllers mounted on your tripod pan handle will change the way you shoot, guaranteed. I'm trying to figure out how to permanently weld mine to my tripod.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2002, 01:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Does anyone know whether or not the black and white viewfinder is cross-compatible between the PAL and NTSC version XL1s? Or do you need to get the black and white viewfinder that is specific for the PAL?
katelins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2002, 03:47 PM   #4

Chris, Just how good is the VariZoom? How controllable is the speed of the zoom?
Old January 21st, 2002, 03:53 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Randall,

I bought my Varizoom controller based on Chris's advice and am damn glad I did. Like he says, it does "change the way you shoot."

It has 8 zoom speeds...plus, if you get the Pro-LX version, you have control over other features, including wakeup. I use it with the Varizoom shoulder brace which I also recommend.
Old January 21st, 2002, 04:48 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Randall -- see my articles on these VariZoom controllers: VZ Pro-LX, VZ Pro-L, VZ Stealth in the DVinfoNet Articles Menu at www.dvinfo.net and the XL1 Watchdog Articles Menu at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm -- everything I have to say about 'em is on those pages. Hope this helps,

Old January 22nd, 2002, 08:44 AM   #7
New Boot

If I may add my two cents worth, mind you Canadian to cents theses days is not worth much :), I to have purchased the Varizoom VZ-Pro-LX controller based on Chris's recommendations here. The major flaw I have found is in its lay out of the record button which is next to the zoom buttons and have a number of times hit the record button by mistake which put the camera in pause mode. Very frustrating I must say, The VZ-PG-L has a better layout from this point of view, but lacks the ability to turn of the text in an external monitor . The solution to this I think will be to place a piece of felt or cork around the record button to give it a different tactile feel. I also purchased an lcd monitor. I tried to purchase the Varizoom model but was unable to do so as they don’t seem to want to sell them in Canada, so I purchased a marshal brand which appears to be identical. My new Xl1s arrived this week and am looking forward to trying it out at our next shoots, I will probably order the NEB50XL monitor from Nebtec as it uses a canon battery for its power for the Xl1s (http://www.nebtek.com/5inch/NEB50Xl%20page.html)
Ian Austen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 01:09 PM   #8
Major Player

I must be one of the few guys that actually likes the Canon zoom controller. It has several fixed zoom rates, plus an infinite mode. The Record button is easy to distinguish (i.e., not hit) in a dark theater, and I can switch on/off the text on an external LCD. It will also control the focus and the wakeup function. It's been a pretty good performer for my purposes.

Vic
Vic Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 10:10 PM   #9

What about filters

How about lens filters - are there any 'must have' filters for the XL1s?
Old January 22nd, 2002, 10:57 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

UV filter. Protects the lens from scratches. A must-have.

Old January 22nd, 2002, 11:04 PM   #11
TruProductions

Some accessories that I bought a week ago with my brand new XL1s:

MA-200 Shoulder attachment - It balances the camera very nicely on my shoulder, you have to get the CH-910 dual battery charger and mount two batteries on top to get the nice balanced feel.

CH-910 - Works as a spare battery charger as well as a power supply for the XL1s on road.

Canon 72mm UV filter - The construction of this filter is as strong as a tank. It metal ring is made of high quality strong metal and the lens does not create any color shifts unlike other UV filters I have. (Hoya, Tiffen).

Carry bag - For a cheap alternative, get the Lowepro Vidcam 6 bag. It will fit the XL1s without any accessories attached to it.

Tripod/Head - I use a Manfrotto 094 leg with the 501 Video head. I think the 501 head is the best value for money head you can buy from the Manfrotto range.

On board lights - I own a Unomat 300watt AC light, if you want battery powered, go for a Satchler Reporter 75 watt DC.

Tapes - I personally use Panasonic and never had a problem with them getting eaten in my Sony VX2000 (now my back up camera).

I am considering buying a Glidecam Pro 4000 with body brace from the US, our Aussie dollar isnt worth much either... at least the Canadian dollar is worth more against the US dollar!!! Anyone have any comments on this setup?

Hope my 2 cents worth helps :)

Cheers,
Old January 22nd, 2002, 11:11 PM   #12

righto - but I had in mind the need for effects filters - say the promist - on other cameras I've read that it's needed to tone down sharpness - is that over-kill on the XL1s? (Keep in mind that I am buying an XL1s system sight unseen) ;-)
Old January 22nd, 2002, 11:19 PM   #13

Ethan - why do you say the 501 is the best tripod head? Have you tried others? And yes, thank you for your (and all others) two cents!)
Old January 22nd, 2002, 11:34 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

I've had both the Bogen 501 and 503 tripod heads, and I'll take the 503 any day. I sold the 501. The 503 has a longer, better telescoping pan handle, a tougher inner spring and feels smoother. Well worth the extra bucks. Of course, if I could afford it, I'd rather have an Aussie Miller above all else.

Old January 23rd, 2002, 06:25 PM   #15
TruProductions

True... Nothing beats a Miller DS5 !!!

For the price I paid the 501 head does perform very well.. If you are a wedding videographer it will do you fine... unless you need it for production purposes... for the price/performance ratio it is probably the best buy for my applications...

Again.. i wouldnt mind a full blown steadycam..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog