y splitter with two male ends? and mono/stereo question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 6th, 2003, 05:22 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

y splitter with two male ends? and mono/stereo question

Is there a such thing? I'm talking XLR cables. I would like to use my ME66 and plug into both channels of my MA100, instead of just the left or right, so that in post I don't have to make everything stereo (or two channel mono) with Sound Forge.

Is such a thing possible? Does such a cable exist?

Also, when taking a mono signal (left or right channel only) and turning itinto mono where the channels are mixed, is this the same as making it stereo and putting the same signal to both channels? Does the previous question make any sense to anyone?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 05:50 PM   #2
Wrangler

Yes and yes.

And yes, the question is confusing.

Maybe this is the answer you are lookign for: Feeding the mic into both the left and right channel when recording will result in essentially the same end result as copying the left (or right) channel to the other in post. I say essentially because paralleling the inputs (feeding one mic into both inputs) cahnges the load impedance that the mic sees, and thus may change the sound somewhat, probably not significant for most purposes.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 07:26 PM   #3
Slash Rules!

Change the sound how? Volume? Quality? Is it possible though? I know they have female y splitters, but never seen male.
Old March 6th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #4

Josh, I've got one that I've been using for a couple of years now. The female end plugs into the mic and the two male ends plug into the MA100's left and right channel.

As to how, if at all, it affects the sound, I can't say because I've noticed or had reason to test it out. So far it sounds fine to me (but I'm not a sound engineer).
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I've heard of people using this setup so they can use two different setting on their Studio1/Beachtek as safety. That way they can pick whichever track sounds better. The guy at B&H mocked me when I asked him if he had an adapter though, so I can't say how well it works.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:42 AM   #6
Slash Rules!

Those B&H people are some aggressive, surly bastards.

Jay, you get crisp clear, audio, with no discernible . . .uh. . .bad effects? Oh, and where'd you get it.
Old March 7th, 2003, 05:08 AM   #7
Wrangler

How can splitting change the sound? In just about all devices the output impedance is somewhat frequency dependent - the published figure is often measured at 1000 Hz. Thus chaning the load impedance can change the effective frequency response delivered to the recorder somewhat (sort of like a tone-conrol effect).

In most cases this will be very slight and not noticed by anyone except perhaps a goldern ear in A/B comparisons. But with cheap or poorly made and high impedance mics it could be significant.

In final analysis, try splitting the mic output, and if it sounds OK (it should), go for it.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 06:10 AM   #8

No, Josh, there's nothing that I can hear that indicates the sound is degraded in any way. That doesn't mean it's not, to one degree or another. If it's one of those situations where it requires some electronic device to detect it, then I don't worry about it. Heck, if anyone asks you why the sound's messed-up, tell 'em it's fine and to get their hearing checked. (Just kidding.) Tell you what I'll do. You have given me reason to do a test to see (hear) if there is any discernable difference. Then I'll post it (as a small .wav file) on my web site and you can make your own decision, if that would help you any.

As to where I got it... if memory serves me correctly, and it doesn't always, I bought it at Guitar Center. Seems odd I know, but they are close by and their prices on XLR cables and such are really good. If you can't find a splitter near you, I'll buy one and mail it to you.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #9
Slash Rules!

Seems they have em at B&H
Old March 7th, 2003, 01:58 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Do you know the product number
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #11
Slash Rules!

look on their site under y cables

Jay (or anyone) when you use the y cable with your MA100, do you ever have the mic mounted on the camera, like the stereo shotgun that comes with it ( I assume you're using an XL1s?). If so, don't you need another cable in addition to the y cable to reach from the back of the mic to the MA100 port? I was thinking of getting a 6 inch or foot and half long cable in addition to the y cable to reach. Any noticable loss when using more than one XLR cable?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog