Final Cut Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 21st, 2002, 03:42 PM   #1
Trustee

Final Cut Pro

Hello guys (and gals)....

I'm having a little trouble hearing the audio when a clip has been captured into FCP using a Canon XL 1S- might anyone know the right settings for use with this new camera? I'm looking for the Quicktime settings and sequence presets......thanks very much to anyone who might be able to help.

The video captures fine but there's no audio in the capture...i've tried altering just about every setting to no avail...I can hear the audio during capture but it isn't present when viewing the clip???? Any ideas??
Old January 21st, 2002, 05:17 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Steve,

Are you saying that you cannot hear your audio while you are working with clips in Final Cut or that you can't hear the clips after you've exported a sequence to a Quicktime file?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2002, 06:32 PM   #3
Trustee

Here's the problem...

(thanks Ken).....

here's what's happening....in the sequence presets I have it setup with DV NTSC 48 KHZ and in the "Capture Settings" I have it setup for DV audio in and source as 48KhZ 16 bit (I don't have a 32 khz 12 bit mode- do you??) and the strange thing is that this setup worked this AM no problem- I went out and video taped a hawk eating a quail and tried to get the footage into FCP (1.2.5) and for some strange reason i hear the audio perfectly during capture but when the clip is double clicked and viewed in the viewer window- there's no audio- if I go to the captures folder i can find the dv capture and play it with quicktime and the audio is indeed present- I'm not aware of any "mute" settings in the viewer or canvas windows and am puzzled as to the silence of the clips.....have any ideas- what are your settings with FCP (1.2.5)??
Old January 21st, 2002, 08:52 PM   #4
Trustee

Ken-

I've found the solution to the problem via Apple's own support forum- apparently for some strange reason some users (like myself) get the "view" "external video" option checked to on without our doing so- it seems to happen more frequently to users whom use multiple displays (like myself)...the simple solution is to uncheck the view extrenal monitors option to off- problem solved.....sorta strange- but such is the digital realm..it's a love/hate thing.

Thanks for trying anyway.

...pluggin away with FCP............
Old January 21st, 2002, 09:31 PM   #5

Steve,
Glad to hear you solved the (odd) problem. Thanks for reporting back here, as it may well help others (myself included some day <g>).

Best.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 10:40 AM   #6
New Boot

A happy New Year to everybody

For all FCP problems I use Lisa Brenneis Bible: the visual quickpro guide; FCP for Macintosh. A little bit expensive but untill now it always solved every problem I got into.
Why is she not on the forum?
Old January 22nd, 2002, 10:48 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Why is she not on *this* forum? Probably because it's not focused on Final Cut Pro. I have seen her on 2-pop.com, which is *the* Final Cut Pro website.

When I used FCP, I had her book and referred to it a lot, much more so than Apple's own FCP manual. She spells everything out in plain english. It's a shame that FCP3 came out on the heels of the release of her Guide to FCP2.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 12:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I've hardly ever looked at the manual to FCP. It's just so damn easy and intuitive to use. In fact I find iMovie MUCH more difficult to deal with than FCP. Basically I just go into the preferences and set it the way I want and it's fine. Anytime I get a new program I always examine each preference to see what works best.

Edit DV is another story.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 12:53 PM   #9

Seems I never see the "LA FCP Users Group" site popup in these messages. It really is worth checking out. Lots of tutorials on little known aspects of FCP...like how to make graphics made in PhotoShop appear without distortion in FCP.

Check it out at http://www.lafcpug.org/. They'll probably let you visit even if you aren't from LA. ;)

Also, there's a good thread for FCP at http://www.creativecow.net
Old January 22nd, 2002, 12:54 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Someday I'll get around to posting an FCP Resource page on dvinfo.net -- also, don't overlook another FCP resource at my friend Josh Mellicker's site at dvcreators.net

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 01:19 PM   #11
Major Player

I ordered the FCP CD-ROM from DV Creators when I started considering jumping from EDV to FCP. It was pretty helpful as a demo.

I also found Joe's comment about EDV interesting -- sounds like there's some unwritten stuff there!

My bride teaches at a college in the Seattle area and makes use of video presentations in her classes. Looks like I'll use her as the FCP buyer when I make the leap--hard to beat the price.
Vic Owen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog