Urgent Help W/ Boom Mic Trouble at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 8th, 2003, 02:23 PM   #1
Silas Lesnick

Urgent Help W/ Boom Mic Trouble

Hi there! I'm a film student trying to work on a project this weekend, but my boom doesn't seem to be working. I've used the same boom and camera twice before for other projects and there was no problem. The boom has power; I've plugged the headphones directly into it and it picks up fine, but when it's plugged into the camera it doesn't seem to pick up any sound at all. I've tried everything I can think of and while I'm sure it's someting obvious I'm overlooking, I'm worried the cable between the boom and the camera is faulty. Thanks for any advice!
Silas
Old March 8th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

What mic are you using?

What does "I've tried everything I can think of..." constitute? For example, have you checked the XL1S' audio settings to make sure that it's set for the external mic and not the onboard mic?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #3
Silas Lesnick

I believe I have. I've gone through the menu and set the mic settings at what I thought were the proper ones and I've tried all combinations of settings since just to test. Is there a setting in the menu secifically for choosing between internal and external mics? Odds are, that is indeed my problem and any help would be great. Sorry to sound so amateurish, but I'm still trying to learn how it works :) Thanks!
Old March 8th, 2003, 03:43 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

If you have the XL1s manual see the section beginning on page 51.

If you don't have the manual you can download it from this CanonDV link.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 03:45 PM   #5
Silas Lesnick

Awesome! This is indeed very helpful! The manual is not with the camera and this link is of much use. Thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog