What lens attachement for macro/closeup on the XL-1 standard lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 17th, 2002, 01:51 PM   #16
Warden

What lens are you using now and how much larger do you need to make the image? Twice as large, 4x as large? The closest distance you are allowed is ? Can you use a tripod or something to steady the camera?

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2002, 09:28 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Sorry Jeff - it was a daft post and should have had more specific information.

Anyway, I am using the standard X16 5.5-88mm f1.6-2.6 that came with the camera (XL1). I have to work from the foot of the table, so say six feet from the mouth. I would need something in the region of a x4 factor over what I get at the present. The camera is always on a tripod.

The intra oral cavity is light via the theatre light so no problems there.

I was wondering about using an adaptor to mount a Canon prime lens from the still range. I really no nothing about these as my department is Nikon based.

Thanks

Ross
Ross Milligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2002, 09:40 AM   #18
Warden

The Canon EOS EF adapter is going to work best for you. The XL1 1.6x adapter will not get you enough magnification. Canon has some fairly economical zooms in the range you'll need. Take a look at their site http://www.canon.co.uk/eflenses/index.html The EF 28-135mm IS lens is very highly recommended. If you want greater range try the EF 70-300 IS lens. The Image Stabilization will aid in hand holding when necessary. Not only will you be able to get the image size you want with the EOS EF lenses the image quality will improve also. You'll be using only the center portion of the lens (the sharpest, best corrected part).

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2002, 02:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your time in taking to reply. I will work on this.

Ross
Ross Milligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 10:13 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi,
I got my close-up attachments from the Filter Connection, great prices, fast service. 1+,2+and 4+ you'll find it on the web
Not very expensive.
Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2002, 07:32 AM   #21
Trustee

As a former entomologist I am amazed at the quaility of maco-video I can get from the XL-1. I use the standard 16x lens, a 1,2 or 4+ diopter, the 1.6 extender...and a good tripod! Depending on the situation I also use reflectors. I have incredable closeups of insects feeding, mating and laying eggs. Useing the 1.6 extender allows you to stay back and zoom close up. This is one magnificent camcorder. But believe me, YOU need to grow into ITS potential. I have had mine for years and I am still amazed at how much I learn about it by just getting out and shooting video! Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog