Is the XL2 really comig on end of the year? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 9th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #1
New Boot

Is the XL2 really comig on end of the year?

In his www.Pixelmonger.com website, Scott Billups says:
"Canon will introduce the XL2 by the end of 2003 and even though the JVC will throw up more pixels, the new XL series will blow it away with its native 16 X 9, third generation chips, multiple frame rates (including 24P and more importantly 30P ) and most importantly ... the ability to use a manual lens. "

Scott is a very high end professional and is a beta tester for many companies and he's well known to be always inside the scoop of things. If it's true, I can barely wait for this camera. I hope they mention something on NAB 2003 already. Can you image this XL2 with a P+S mini35 and a set of Zeis? It will be insane.

Cheers
DVSHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #2
Warden

If Scott Billups really knew what Canon is developing, he would be under a Nondisclosure Agreement. NDA's protect the companies trade secrets and are enforceable in court. Employees get fired and pay heavy civil penalties for violating the agreements and the awards have stood up under appeal.

Mr. Billups is just engaging in speculation like the rest of us. If he really knew, he wouldn't be saying. It sure would be nice if at least some of his wish list came true.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 07:36 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Canon has an established track record of not mentioning new products until they're ready to ship. When you see big rebates on existing models, that's when you know something new is coming within 4 to 6 weeks from that announcement. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 04:54 AM   #4
Wrangler

Late 2002 would make the XL1S about 2 yers old? Canon's track record is about 3 years with their top-of-the-line models, but 2 might fit given that the XL1s was an incremental change to the XL1.

Interesting to note that that Supervideo has nothing to say about an XL2 in the near future.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 05:46 AM   #5
Outer Circle

DVShooter. Non of us know when the XL1S replacement will come. But when Canon drops the price or offers a huge rebate, you'll know it'll be coming within a month or so. Chris mentioned this, and from what I noticed over the years, this is exactly what Canan does. If you're worried that a new version is around the corner, don't buy anything new, and just wait. In fact, wait for the announcements at NAB.

Oh, and about Ken..., he's one smart fellow---a lot smarter than me; and a hell of a nice guy to boot.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #6
Major Player

All that being said, I'm still drooling just a bit. A canon with native 16x9 AND 24 fps, man I really hope it's true.
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mea Culpa

I apologize for my strong remarks regarding Scott Billups. (I've removed them from this thread since they did not significantly add to its information content.) I have a strong aversion to Billups' style which I will keep to myself in the future.

My apologies.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 08:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Tangent

If this new camera would have 24p mode, and you shot something that was trasferred to 35mm. Would you not be better served to shoot in native NTSC 60i?

It is my understanding that the frame movie mode is great if you intend to watch it in on video playback and not transferred to film and projected.

Keep in mind I know nothing, but want to learn.
Pete Balistrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 08:07 PM   #9
Wrangler

The reason why the current XL1's Frame Movie Mode is not suitable for footage meant for film transfer is precisely because it's 30P, not 24P. (Or more precisely, 29.98P vs. 23.976P.)

Temporal resampling postprocessing algorithms have more material to work with when the footage is 60i. But if the footage is native 24P to begin with, no such resampling is necessary.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 11:33 AM   #10
Regular Crew

But...

The only hurdle then would be to have a Final Cut Pro that would handle 24P, Correct?

For Editing on your computer.
Pete Balistrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #11
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

FCP can already handle 24P. See Adam Wilt's presentation for detailed workflow information.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 10:00 AM   #12
Trustee

I can't imagine Canon will not go HD at this point. JVC's camera is supposed to be about $3000 -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=238461&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

If Canon is going to charge MORE for an XL2, then don't you think it needs to be HD? In any case, I'll wait for Canon's 3-chip HD cam rather than go with JVC's. I have not been hearing or seeing good things about the new JVC model.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 11:36 AM   #13
Wrangler

I don't think it needs to be HD. I just think it needs to have a better picture than the other cameras.
Old March 25th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I would love to see the XL2 come with a manual lens. When I get it I sure will not want to pay for that old stock lens. I could never get used to that focus ring on the standard lens. I guess the viewfinder could use a little work also. I really don't see them doing a flip out screen but I never really got into that anyway.

Marcus
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 06:32 AM   #15
Major Player

yeah, i hope they avoid the flip out screen. it takes up resources needed for other things.
John Threat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog