XL1 lens control problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 10th, 2003, 06:56 AM   #1
New Boot

XL1 Problem

I had a strange problem happen this weekend with my XL-1. Using the rocker zoom control on the camera, I zoomed all of the way in on the subject. The pressed the rocker to zoom out and it wouldn't zoom back out. Had to power the camera down and back up again, then I could zoom out.

Zoomed back in and out a 2nd time, no problem. However, later in the day it did it again. Got stuck when I zoomed in. The only what to get it to zoom back out is if I power down and back on again.

Over the course of a 6 hour shoot, I got stuck in the zoom in position 4 times.

Anyone else every had or hear of this problem?

Charles
Charles Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #2
Wrangler

Could you have knocked the lens somewhere? Lens tend to be very sensitive creatures to mechanical shock. Another thing to look for is debris in the switch.

Another test would be to try the zoom rocker on the top handle and the remote control and see if they does the same. If you have a Varizoom that would be another test. If you don't have the problem with those controls, it suggests the problem is in the main zoom rocker.

If you are still having the problem you really need to try another lens to isolate it to either the lens or the cam. If the problem goes away with another lens, then you have a lens problem. If not, then the problem is with the cam.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 06:42 AM   #3
New Boot

I swapped lenes and the problem is not in the lens.

I have the ProZoom controller, like a Varizoom, and the problem is still there.

Very strange. It's looking like there is something wrong with the camera.

I was just wondering if anyone else ever had this problem and they found out was wrong.

Charles.
Charles Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 08:25 AM   #4
Wrangler

Doesn't sound good.

A couple of other things to try:
  1. Inspect the lens contact carefully!! See if the contacts look intact, in position, and free of corrosion.
  2. Remove all the batteries (including the button cell) and leave in cam in the on position for a day. Then reinstall the batteries.
  3. Check your batteries. Nothing like screwball voltages to cause weird problems.
If none of those payout I think a trip to the service shop is in order.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Condensation?

Charles,
My XL1S has started developing a "jerking" motion regardless of which lens I'm using. This only happens when using the variable zoom setting and it works fine with the slow, medium, and fast settings.

I'm starting to wonder if condensation might have something to do with my problem. I notice the problem repeatedly after picking-up the camera after leaving it sitting for a while. The temperatures that I use the camera in are never below 50deg F, but I think picking up the camera and warming up the grip with my hand is causing some kind of condensation to develop in the rocker switch or perhaps between the contacts with the camera and lens. In my case, the problem goes away as the camera "warms up".

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the rocker switch or contacts can speculate further on this problem.

G
Greg Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 07:33 PM   #6
Wrangler

On the XL1 the zoom rocker switch shows as a variable resistance, like a potentiometer with output votage determined by the rocker position, probably about 1.5 VDC off the tap at neutral setting.

A bad electrical contact could cause it to act funny, as if the rocker was held at full zoom/wide position, but I would expect that to cause the zoom indicator to remain displayed on in the EVF rather than go away a few seconds after the zoom control is released. Not sure if the XL1s is similar.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 06:31 AM   #7
New Boot

I would like to say thanks to everyone who responded. I've tried and checked everything that everyone suggested. I called my dealer and he never heard of the problem before. I called Canon and no one there seems to have any clue.

So the camera is off the repair shop today. Thanks for your help, Charles
Charles Fields is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog