Help w/Xl1 settings... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 11th, 2003, 08:03 PM   #1
New Boot

Help w/Xl1 settings...

I'm going to be shooting a few interviews and capturing some field footage this weekend at a training session for a celebrity car race and was wondering if anyone had a few suggestions for settings to use on my XL1.

This footage will most likely be aired on television, so the quality of the shoot is very important.

What settings would you suggest for the interviews?

Also, which settings will work best for capturing the cars traveling at high speeds?

I have my own thoughts on this, but outside info. never hurts! Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks.
Old March 12th, 2003, 05:16 AM   #2
Wrangler

Find out if the TV outlet has any specific requirermens. Fully manual mode and settings can give the best results - if you know how to set up the camcorder for the shots. Practice in advance, at the venue with the expected lighting if you can, try differnt settings, view the footage and see what best meets your needs.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 06:06 AM   #3
Major Player

One thing I have found in shooting auto races is to stay away from fast shutter speeds. I almost always shoot in TV (shutter priority) mode with the shutter speed set to 60. Even though the cars are moving fast, you are usually panning with the car so your primary subject is moving slowly within the frame. Fast shutter speeds will produce an undesirable effect with regard to background objects. Cars in sharp focus with the background slightly blurred is much easier to watch. Also use manual focus.
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:05 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #5
New Boot

What about using frame mode...how well does this transfer to television? I like the "look" that I get w/frame mode, but would it be better to deinterlace w/my editting software or should I not even bother?
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

No Frame Mode

Trevar,

You will not want to shoot anything for TV broadcast in frame mode. Do not de-interlace in post either. You will get a case of the jitters, so-to-speak.

If you are shooting in full manual, activate your zebras and set them to activate at 80. This will help you keep your levels more tolerable for broadcast.

If you are new to using the camera, practice-practice-practive. Most of all, have fun.

Good Luck!

Bill
Bill Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 05:59 PM   #7
Wrangler

Frame mode will cause a sort of strobe effect in pans and with moderately fast moving objects in the farme. Not fun to view. (Recall how bad fast pans look in the movies.) With TV you probably are trying to look like TV (video), not like the movies.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2003, 10:47 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for all the help.
Old March 27th, 2003, 11:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Outside: use the ND filter if there's enough light.

I'm a fan of Manual White Balance, +2 setup and +2 Sharpness. It gives me a pretty good image without oversharpening and allowing me to go straight to Bcast even though it's sort of cheating by trying to imitate the setup of 7.5 IRE.

Just keep the zebras showing a bit, but not much on the highlights.
Old March 28th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #10

XL1-s settings

I shoot a lot of freelance stuff on my XL-1s for TV news. Most of the stations like a little crisper look than the softer look Canon delivers naturally. No problem. I've got one custom preset set to do what I call "The Sony Look," a second set to do The Sony Look with with more low-light capability (which seems to work better than tweaking the gain, by the way). I have the third one set for really soft, Movie Frame Mode stuff I do with a 1/2 black promist filter. If I want the natural Canon look, I just turn off the custom presets.

Also... use -3db gain anytime the light allows.
Old April 6th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #11
Tourist

gonna diddle with this myself. As a new owner, I've been disappointed with the low light grainyness. -3db gain helps. I filmed a choir onstage. Marvelous sound. what happened to the picture. It worked better on 'spotlight' which I didn't want to do cause I can't control it. I'll fiddle around next time but I'd love to have any suggestions on manual adjustments to improve low light and stark contrast.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog