Question of rain gear for the XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 13th, 2003, 04:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Question of rain gear for the XL1S

The title just about says it all. I'm just three weeks from my first outting in the AZ boonies. The trip will take me to higher elevations where if I'm lucky(?) I'll have some storms to film. What is the best protection available for the XL1S? What would or do use and why. Yes I am old enough to know to come in out of the rain however we'll be in a camping situation for the duration. Thanks in advance..
Old March 13th, 2003, 09:26 PM   #2
Wrangler

Having compared the Porta Brace Rain Slicker to the Kata XL1 rain cover, and one other no-name rain cover, I would say spend the extra money on the Porta Brace cover.
Old March 13th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I second Dylan's comments. I owned both for a time and either will get the basic job done. But PortaBrace's detailing and workmanship are far beyond anyone else's. (And how could you not like a product that comes signed by the person that made it, as all PortaBrace gear does?)

Two caveats re: the PB. If you use the MA-200 be sure to order the (new) model designed to cover it. Also, if you use the FU-1000 viewfinder the fit will be just a bit tight. It works but it's just a bit tight in front.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for the information. I'm surprised to hear about the KATA. I've got their bag for the camera and like it. (a hard case pelican 1620 is on it's way). Based on the recommendation I went and ordered the Porta Brace rain slicker from B&H this morning. If it's anything like the photo I knoe I'll like it.

Thanks for the information.
Old March 14th, 2003, 12:47 PM   #5
Wrangler

There's nothing wrong with the Kata rain cover at all. I've used one many times here, and it has always kept the camera nice and dry, and is considerably cheaper. It's just a bit of a pain to use ergonimicaly. I think the PortaBrace is more soundly made and fits better.
Old March 14th, 2003, 12:57 PM   #6
Air China Pilot

The Kata I have is okay once you get it on. But it is a pain to get on and off. The problem is that the viewfinder has to squeeze through an elastic hole that is very tight. Whenever i do this the rubber eyecup (I actually have a soft cover for that as well which makes it even bigger) will pop off. So I will have to screw the rubber eyecup back on once I get the viewfinder through it.
Old March 14th, 2003, 01:06 PM   #7

Honestly, with the XL1S' gawky physical design, they're both difficult to put on and remove. The PB has a few more openings to ease the job a bit. But it's no picnic.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I order the PB this morning - should be here by the end of next week giving me bout a week to get used to it prior to heading South.
Old March 15th, 2003, 10:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Ken, you said that if we used the MA-200, we should order the (new PB) model designed to cover it. Does this model fit if we use the LightWave accessories as well?

I did purchase the Kata RC-11 and itīs a great rain cover, if you donīt use any accessories. I do know that many of you think the Kata model is a little to much (almost like a dress for the camcorder), but I even purchased the bigger RC-10 model. The reason? Just because I was tired of having to remove my accessories to give my camcorder protection against the environment. I love the LightWave accessories and think they should always stay on my camcorder. I have searched around to find one raincover that can handle an XL1s with all these accessories, and the only one close enough is the RC-10.

Although it would be nice with a rain cover that would fit a little bit more like the gloves for "the big guys", the XLīs design doesnīt make that easy. I guess you just have to choose: A cover with a relatively smooth fit or a more bulky one with the ability to cover your extra gear as well?

Ivan
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 12:32 PM   #10

Ivan,
Good question. I do not have the whole Lightwave mount so I really cannot say. I do, however, use their System Isolator with the color LCD viewfinder and can say that the rain cover works ok with that.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog