DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   My XL1S (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/7704-my-xl1s.html)

Kyle Root March 13th, 2003 10:37 PM

My XL1S

After about 1.5 years of thinking about it, I finally decided to upgrade from my GL1 to an XL1(S). It came in this afternoon from B&H. I tracked it all day at work online. lol

I must say, this is the first time I've ever seen one in person, read a lot about 'em, heard a lot about 'em and figured that since my GL1 was doing an excellent job for me, the XL1S surely wouldn't be worse.

The video production company that myself and 2 friends started 3 years ago has really grown and we are now getting into a lot more commercial type work and doing a lot of music video demos for bands in Nashville and I figure that the XL1S will help with the image (no pun intended) of our company in terms of professionalism.

I did get the MA200 adapter with it, and man that thing is gonna be very cool.

Can't wait to try this thing out!

I've posted pics on my website beside a GL1, which I'm sure everyone has seen that comparison before, but the XL1S makes the GL1 look like a Tyco toy. lol

Kyle
http://www.virtualkyle.com

Ken Tanaka March 13th, 2003 10:54 PM

Kyle,
Well there are many, many folks here (myself included) that completely understand your excitement. (You might want to hold back a bit on other non-video boards <g>.)

I saw my first XL1 many years ago while attending a conference. Just before a presentation was scheduled to begin a scruffy-looking fellow blew into the room, unfolded a tripod (which looked like it might have sufffered from rickets) and plopped a shiny new XL1 onto it to shoot the session. It caught my attention because it looked so odd.

Congratulations Kyle! That was a big step and you're going to have a ball with it. Just remember, if you start feeling faint during the first few weeks just breathe into a paper bag.

Dylan Couper March 14th, 2003 02:34 AM

Thumbs up!
It's a hell of a toy!
Err.. tool, not toy... ;)

Chris Hurd March 14th, 2003 04:17 AM

Hi Kyle,

I've followed your posts on rec.video.production for a long time, and it's great to have you here with us. Congrats on your new baby... I want a cigar!

;-)

Bob Safay March 14th, 2003 06:55 AM

Kyle, you are in for a lot of fun. I just got back from videoing in Patagonia. You cannot believe how beautiful the footage looks. Enjoy the XL-1s, you made the right choice.

Nathan Gifford March 14th, 2003 09:33 AM

Congradulations on the new item. Its quite an animal.

Kyle Root March 15th, 2003 01:13 AM

Thank You

Thanks to everyone for their response to my original post.

Indeed, I look forward to shooting much footage with the XL1S.

and to Chris: man it's been a while since I've been on the newsgroups. The company I work for by day has really cracked down on surfing and such and they've fired a bunch of people... so I don't even get on there at work any more, and when I get home, I have too much other work to do.

Maybe one day, I can get back into some kind of regular reading/posting routine, but for right now, it's all hit and miss.

Ok, it's after 1 AM here... gotta sleep..

Kyle

Rob Lohman March 15th, 2003 09:15 AM

I can remember seeing the then new XL1 in a magazine one
time or something.. thinking: " damn, that looks like a serious
piece of equipment. Must be impossible to own... "

Then one day when I had enough money I went to a store and
bought it. I got home and just looked at it assembled standing
on my table (didn't have a still camera back then...) and I
remember walking around all week with a huge smile.

Oh... I did go to a store 6 months before I bought it to just
hold it. I was all clumsy and very careful not to drop it. I was
just thrilled to be able to hold it and couldn't stop talking about
it.

Now it just feels normal to have the thing standing next to me
and holding it. Although the camera will always hold a special
place in my heart!

Kevin Burnfield March 20th, 2003 12:23 PM

Congrats.

The XL1S is a great camera. I've been VERY, VERY pleased with the quality and capability of it.

All I can give you for advice is read here and ask questions... it's amazing how much information is here.

Sometimes it's tough to find but keep looking and asking!

Andrew Petrie March 21st, 2003 09:20 AM

I've had my XL1S since August '02 and through experiementing, I'm only now fully realizing what it's capable of. You really have to tinker with it.

Dale C. Elliott March 22nd, 2003 06:14 AM

Congrats Kyle on the new camera. You will love it. I have had mine for a while now and it is great.

Dale