DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Slightly OT: PortaBrace CTC-3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/7714-slightly-ot-portabrace-ctc-3-a.html)

Bob Maple March 14th, 2003 02:38 AM

Slightly OT: PortaBrace CTC-3?

I had heard about the CTC-2 from the Watchdog review and ordered one from B&H Photo for my XL1s, along with an MA-200. Upon receiving it, the PortaBrace catalog inside showed the CTC-3 which I didn't previously know about, which was supposedly a few inches bigger to better fit the camera with the MA-200. So I did an exchange, shipped it back and got a CTC-3.

The CTC-3 just showed up today. However, what I got is totally different than the CTC-2 I got previously.

Has anyone seen both bags in person? PortaBrace's website implies the CTC-2 and CTC-3 are the same design except for the CTC-3 being slightly bigger. But what I got (and it has a tag on it with 'CTC-3' written on it) is more of a big rectangle shape; It doesn't have the curves of the CTC-2 (on the top), the viewfinder protection cove (it's totally straight), or even the same pockets on the outside.. the whole thing is a rigid rectangle all the way around.

Did I get sent the wrong bag? I haven't been able to track them down locally so I have no idea if it's supposed to look like this.. It just strikes me as odd that it would be so drastically different. So far I haven't been able to find a picture specifically of the CTC-3 to compare.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Steve Clodfelter March 14th, 2003 03:50 PM

Bob,

I haven't seen the CTC-2 in person so can't comment on it based on personal experience. But I just bought the CTC-3 and (1) it definitely has the viewfinder protection cove, and (2) the top curves toward the ends (especially at one end). Not a real distinctive curve, but definitely not a rigid rectangle.

Also, the PortaBrace catalog shows just one picture for the CTC-2 and the CTC-3. I would certainly think that they would show separate pictures for each if there was a significant design difference.

I would guess that you got the wrong bag.

Ed Frazier March 14th, 2003 06:51 PM

Based on your description Bob, I'd guess that what you have is the Quick-Draw Professional Camera Case. The model suggested for the XL1 is CC325P. Another possibility woud be the Smuggler Camera Case. This model seems to be geared for larger ENG cameras and no model is indicated for the XL1.

Pictures in the PortaBrace catalog show the Smuggler as perfectly rectangular in shape, while the Quick-Draw has a rectangular footprint, but the lens end is slightly shorter than the battery end. Both have an expandable "Utility Pocket" on the battery end.

Bob Maple March 15th, 2003 12:46 AM

Thanks guys - ugh! Looks like someone just mislabeled this thing and whomever shipped it didn't know any better - Guess I'll be calling B&H in the morning.

I mean what I got is a nice sturdy bag, maybe I'll just keep it. My XL1 does fit in there perfectly (though I have to loosen the viewfinder and let it slide to the right a bit) and there's ample pocket room (there's a couple of big ones on the square ends, and a really long one that zippers on one of the long sides with some open pockets in front of that.) Hmm. Depending on which it actually is, I think they actually sent me a more expensive bag :)

Anyway thanks again for the confirmation.

Jeff Donald March 15th, 2003 05:48 AM

If you can post a picture or email me a picture I'll let you know which model you have.

Bob Maple March 17th, 2003 11:15 AM

Here's a pic of it:

http://retardedlogic.com/Bag.jpg

Not the best pic but I just shot this quickly in my room which has practically no light :)

Ed Frazier March 17th, 2003 04:22 PM

Bob, after seeing the picture, I think that what you have is a Porta-Brace Cargo Case. Since you said that the XL1 with MA200 fits inside, you most likely have the CAR-3. (inside measurements 21"L x 8"W x 10"H) Here's the description from a Porta-Brace catalog:

"The Cargo Case has five outside pockets with a wide double zippered top cover for easy access to the interior. This is a very handsome and useful case with the distinctive Porta-Brace leather handles and the HB-10 shoulder strap. New divider system. Interior plastic frame."

List price is $180.00 for the CAR-1, $190.00 for the CAR-2 and $198.00 for the CAR-3.

Jeff Donald March 17th, 2003 05:37 PM

That's exactly what it is. I used to own a couple of those. Nice bags, but not my first choice for the XL1. I'd talk to B & H about returning it.

Bob Maple March 28th, 2003 02:28 AM

Just wanted to follow up and say thanks to everyone who replied and for their help and confirmation of my bag woes.

After finally getting dug out of the snow last week (I'm in Colorado, we got dumped on) I finally shipped off the bag this week and hope to have the real CTC-3 sometime next.

As I was packing up the incorrect bag to ship back, I happened to notice that on the thin plastic bag it came in there were two white stickers with barcodes on them. I happened to be in front of a light and by chance noticed something showing through one of them -- another sticker underneath saying "CAR-3"!